Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fawns

Muskrat24

I know they are not all born today but happened to see two fawns out nursing different does about three miles apart in hay fields this morning. Texted that to a friend and he found a bed with afterbirth in it this morning while working. Bred November 6,7,8.

It's time for sure. Checked cams and most of the does were still pudgy that haven't dropped yet. Hope the 1st cutting of hay doesn't get cut anytime soon!

They are growing fast

d1c59d62d22bc1868eafad170548c932.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen fewer number of fawns on camera than this year. I have MANY does with no fawns. And only the occasional fawn with a doe. Not a good sign this late into July.

Apparently the early heat is incredibly hard on them when they are young. Laying out in the fields in 100 degree weather can't be good for any living creature.. Makes you wonder how many it takes a toll on. We had 95+ degrees from late May, and ever since here in MO.

I have never seen fewer number of fawns on camera than this year. I have MANY does with no fawns. And only the occasional fawn with a doe. Not a good sign this late into July.

Apparently the early heat is incredibly hard on them when they are young. Laying out in the fields in 100 degree weather can't be good for any living creature.. Makes you wonder how many it takes a toll on. We had 95+ degrees from late May, and ever since here in MO.
I agree with your sightings. Warren county. Most does have no fawns here.

Same way in my area those are the first fawns I’ve seen in over a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing a lack of fawns large scale & frequently to where it’s “concerning”…. IMO- it’s all related to high coyote density. Why we kill coyotes even during fawning season. The more guys with traps & thermals the better. Folks can realize when deer populations are high or low. Bit harder to tell on coyotes but from what I see across state- thickest I’ve seen them in my life.

Seeing a lack of fawns large scale & frequently to where it’s “concerning”…. IMO- it’s all related to high coyote density. Why we kill coyotes even during fawning season. The more guys with traps & thermals the better. Folks can realize when deer populations are high or low. Bit harder to tell on coyotes but from what I see across state- thickest I’ve seen them in my life.
I about ran four coyote pups over Wednesday night. Didn't know what they were until I was going by them or else it wouldn't have been "about"
definitely seeing more than I'd care to

Makes me wonder about this as well. Seeing them everywhere on camera. Makes, females, pups.. Even two pics with fawns in their mouths.

If that's true, I'd kind of hate to see our deer densities without coyotes. I find it a little hard to believe, I don't think we'd have any deer left if that was true.
Depends on yote populations but they can't decimate a deer population. I read an article a couple years ago where they monitored a coyote den with a camera and that particular yote took 14fawns to her den in one month! Here's another article on fawn predication by coyotes.... https://stacylynharris.com/do-coyotes-affect-deer-populations/

Top Bottom