Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fertilizer

deerdown

Wondering how many of you load up on bagged fertilizer on year end clearance?
Just saw some 10-10-10 40lb bags go on sale for$6 a bag, thought about grabbing 20 bags...
Yea/ney?

Wondering how many of you load up on bagged fertilizer on year end clearance?
Just saw some 10-10-10 40lb bags go on sale for$6 a bag, thought about grabbing 20 bags...
Yea/ney?
If u don’t use the coop for bulk fertilizer that’s good.
so- to get like triple 50 on the soil…. That’s 500 lbs of that fertilizer per acre or lil over 12 bags. Which is: $75/acre. Which- is not bad for food plotter. Clearly u need more N if it’s something like corn. But for most stuff…. That would be a good convenient route. Not bad price. Go for it!!!
*quick reminder- those #’s a % of actual N-P-K per 100 lbs. so, 100 lbs of 10-10-10 would put 10 lbs nitrogen, 10 lbs phosphorus & 10 lbs potassium per acre.

Last edited:
Thanks Sligh, you answered my question! I do some bulk from the coop, but for me, bags are a little easier to store/handle, and, i don't use a bunch every year so if it's somewhat economical vs bulk, i think I'll do this..
For others interested, local wally world just priced it. Each store is different in their clearance items timing so you might have to keep checking.

What Skip said...but I have a big enough tractor now that I do my bigger fields with a fertilizer cart from the COOP. Goes on fast and is less expensive in bulk. Otherwise...buying some now isn't a bad idea at that price.

+1 on all advice above. Triple 10 is a pretty "diluted" fertilizer so it will be a lot of spreading..

If you have a good ATV or 3 point spreader, go for it! Great price!

Daver - fill me in on the carts please. I've always been curious about these. Do you go pick the cart up, or do they deliver it for you? What size tractor minimum to pull these carts and spread?

I have one 5a plot, otherwise, I have a two 1a plots, a 1/8a and 1 even smaller....other than the 5a plot, I wouldn't think it'd be worth the one way 17mile drive for a cart, and then maybe not even for the 5a?

I have bought bulk, probably better defined as 'loose', because I show up at the coop, and either they, or I shovel it into seed bags (harder to handle than these plastic sealed bags from Walmart) . It's bulk price though.....

I then use my cyclone or atv spreader, or even bag spread it....

Is the cart overkill for what I'm doing? And would bulk prices for loose be significantly better than this $6 bag fertilizer for what I'd be getting?

I'm probably lucky they let me scoop my own fert at the coop.....DAP, MAP, etc

Thanks guys..

Last edited:
Daver - fill me in on the carts please. I've always been curious about these. Do you go pick the cart up, or do they deliver it for you? What size tractor minimum to pull these carts and spread?

I have one 5a plot, otherwise, I have a two 1a plots, a 1/8a and 1 even smaller....other than the 5a plot, I wouldn't think it'd be worth the one way 17mile drive for a cart, and then maybe not even for the 5a?

I have bought bulk, probably better defined as 'loose', because I show up at the coop, and either they, or I shovel it into seed bags (harder to handle than these plastic sealed bags from Walmart) . It's bulk price though.....

I then use my cyclone or atv spreader, or even bag spread it....

Is the cart overkill for what I'm doing? And would bulk prices for loose be significantly better than this $6 bag fertilizer for what I'd be getting?

I'm probably lucky they let me scoop my own fert at the coop.....DAP, MAP, etc

Thanks guys..
So roughly 7 acres of plots? For that I would absolutely get the cart. Faster, cheaper, and probably done better too.
For 7 acres the cart wouldn't be terribly full, so not super heavy. I would think you'd still want 4,000 lbs of tractor in front of it but that's a guess. Makes a difference if your on flat ground or hills.

I appreciate the insight, i had sort of talked myself out of it being economical or prudent
Appreciate the response.

Top Bottom