Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Peas

DMarley83

DMARLEY83
I was wanting to try a new fall plot this year and was considering peas. Does anyone have any experience with them lately and is that a good addition to beans, clover , and turnips?

Check out Dbltree's Corner. There is a long standing thread on "Field Peas" and also another one on "Cereal Grains and Cover Crops". I linked them below. There you will find a jackpot of good advice from Dbltree and others.

I have planted peas in a mix with rye, oats and clover a few times now. They are the "candy" in the mix and I have watched deer carefully select the delicate pea plants while feeding right underneath my stand a couple of times.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16170

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15879

Check out Dbltree's Corner. There is a long standing thread on "Field Peas" and also another one on "Cereal Grains and Cover Crops". I linked them below. There you will find a jackpot of good advice from Dbltree and others.

I have planted peas in a mix with rye, oats and clover a few times now. They are the "candy" in the mix and I have watched deer carefully select the delicate pea plants while feeding right underneath my stand a couple of times.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16170

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15879

Any idea best place to get them? Local Co op?

Agree to follow Dbltree plan BUT, I do play with some areas I just do peas.....
I mix Austrian winter peas + Iron Clay + cow peas + some soybeans (light). I plant this earlier, like early to mid august. just allows them to get much larger than later in mix (which mix has its huge place obviously). Now, soybeans will die off earlier but great in mix until about mid to late October (great if you were targeting an early season buck), Austrians will stay green all winter of course. I do a little experimenting & tweaking each year.

I mix Austrian winter peas + Iron Clay + cow peas + some soybeans (light). I plant this earlier, like early to mid august. just allows them to get much larger than later in mix (which mix has its huge place obviously). Now, soybeans will die off earlier but great in mix until about mid to late October (great if you were targeting an early season buck), Austrians will stay green all winter of course. I do a little experimenting & tweaking each year.

Interesting...I was thinking of trying a small "pea only" plot this year. What have you found in terms of the deer eating all the peas right away, etc? I am spitballing here...but if the deer can wipe out a soybean plot from over browsing in a given area, would they not reduce a pea field to dirt in short order?

Do u also get the peas from welter?

Yes, definitely from Welter. I ordered on Monday (yesterday) and they arrived today (Tuesday). Can't beat that!

I'm trying my first hand with the 4010 forage peas.

Did you look into the windham peas. It sounds like they may be a bit more tolerant to the cold. I think I may try mixing them with the cow peas and maybe a bit of rye also. Does that sound like a possible winner?
Also would around the 1st of Aug be about right for planting?

Did you look into the windham peas. It sounds like they may be a bit more tolerant to the cold. I think I may try mixing them with the cow peas and maybe a bit of rye also. Does that sound like a possible winner?
Also would around the 1st of Aug be about right for planting?

For sure worth a shot. I'd try those windham's for sure. Winter peas are of course a winner in the mix. I would not add rye if doing Aug 1. it will get too tall & nasty If you are going to add rye to THAT mix, you'd later want to broadcast or drill it into your peas. If it were me, I'd do a separate mix planted next to it that I planted late August or early september that contained the rye in a mix & at that point I'd be doing the Dbltree mix.

Top Bottom