Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First bow kill

TimmyD525

PMA Member
Picture is below.
Shot him on November 14th half hour before sunset. I had been hunting hard every weekend since beginning October and just could never be in the right spot at the right time. Saw numerous bucks larger than the one I shot but this one finally came within range and wasn't going to pass him up as a first. I got access to a piece of private land, which was mainly a bean field/grass field that fed into a large timber they seemed to head into to bed. I had limited time to scout so ended up putting my stand along a fence a row on the edge of the beans. Scattered trees up and down the fence row, thought I had picked a tree that would conceal me but as soon as the leaves all fell off, I stuck out like a sore thumb. The deer I shot on the 14th popped out the timber in front me at 50 yards and was walking straight to me, I was sitting in a ladder stand with my bow across my lap. My plan had been to stand up and have my bow at the ready when a shooter entered the area but this was not possible with him walking directly at me and my stand not being concealed at all. He seemed to never really look up at me but ended up coming broadside at 10 yards and glassing over the bean field watching some does, debating if he wanted to jump the fence. I began to get the shakes knowing I'd have to make a move, I made a decision to stand and draw at the same time as he jumped the fence hoping he would be distracted enough. WRONG, upon landing he caught me out of the corner of his eye and took off running directly behind my tree into the beans. I made a completely random sound I have no idea what it even sounded like but it stopped him, I rough guessed him at 25 yards and picked a small opening between a scatter of limbs. My mind was racing, I saw brown and thought I was on his shoulder and let the arrow fly, to my astonishment he dropped right in his tracks. My arrow ended up hitting him right in the neck behind the ear and paralyzed him. I assumed he would bleed out fast, so after 3 min of him watching him lay not moving he all the sudden rolled to his other side and knocked the arrow out. I got down out of the stand to a comfortable shooting distance and put a final arrow in him to seal the deal. So pumped after it all. Learned so much about how hard it is too chase these elusive creatures this season, I've got some grand plans for my game plan next year where I hope to post me with one of the big boys I couldn't get in an arrow in! Thanks for reading and Enjoy the rush everyone!

Last edited:
picture.php

Is this the pic? Looks like a nice buck.

Thats it hillrunner, how'd you end up finding it and getting it to show? I had it saved from my phone and didn't have a URL to post

Congrats on your first! As you spend more time out there with the deer, you'll figure out what you can and can't get away with. Sounds like you may have some good ones to hunt for next season. Well done and welcome to the site!

Thats it hillrunner, how'd you end up finding it and getting it to show? I had it saved from my phone and didn't have a URL to post
The picture is in your album. I copied the url and paste it into the box that comes up when you click on the image icon in your post.

Top Bottom