Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First dedicated slug gun...

sirrloin

I'm a little bit of a newbie when it comes to the deer hunting scene. I have a Super Vinci for birds but would like a nice, accurate gun for slugs. I've read a lot with what people have to say but would like to see what some local guys might suggest.

So far I've got three off the top of my head:

1.) Savage 220
2.) Browning A-bolt 12 gauge
3.) Ithaca deerslayer III

I've got the Savage in 12 ga, but the original model without removable clip. If I trade, I'd probably be getting the Savage with removable clip. Probably the 20 ga because a 20 ga will put deer down.

I'm sure they will ring in, but a few guys on here will second the 220 choice.

If I was going for a dedicated deer gun for hunting out of blinds or from a stationary position a Savage is the way to go. From everything I've read it's heavy so you wouldn't wanna lug it around through the woods.

Browning gold slug gun with cantilever rifled slug barrel with a scope and shooting federal Barnes expanders. I have shot Savage, Remington (870 and 1100) and Benelli SBE all rifled barreled. The Browning is by far the most accurate. If I was looking for a bolt action I would go with the browning A-Bolt hands down.

I have a rem 1100 rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount. Never had a reason to trade or upgrade as its a tack driver. But IF I was in the market I'd take a long look at the savages. I mostly sit so weight is not an issue but you really wouldn't want lug my rem on too many pushes either.

Depends a little (or a lot) on what the budget will bear. TarHunt Makes a really great bolt gun as well as a Rem 870 conversion. Both are awesome accurate. Otherwise your top 3 suggestions are all good. Have fun with the decision!

Depends a little (or a lot) on what the budget will bear. TarHunt Makes a really great bolt gun as well as a Rem 870 conversion. Both are awesome accurate. Otherwise your top 3 suggestions are all good. Have fun with the decision!

Agreed - TarHunt has been making killer slug guns for a long time.

Savage 220. Light, crazy accurate, no kick, superb trigger. She will shoot a clover leaf at 100 yards all day long.

I second the savage. I haven't shot the other two, but it's hard to beat the accutrigger. Wish sabot rounds didn't cost an arm and a leg though!

Depends how you intend to hunt. If you are going with a group then you have listed excellent choices...but if you go out and sit by yourself... I'll take my muzzle loader over a slug gun every time. Most accurate gun you can legally hunt with during shotgun season in Iowa.

Party/group mossberg 500 with slug barrel. Super accurate to 125 or so with practice.

Sitting in stand buy a muzzleloader

If i were only sitting savage all the way but if there is a chance you will be driving deer mossberg 930 all the way. I have a mossberg 935 with rifled barrel and open sights it has never let me down and it will shoot better than I can. I have shot deer out to 175 yards with it. We mainly sit for shotgun season and let the groups push deer to us.

Depends how you intend to hunt. If you are going with a group then you have listed excellent choices...but if you go out and sit by yourself... I'll take my muzzle loader over a slug gun every time. Most accurate gun you can legally hunt with during shotgun season in Iowa.

Agreed. Also I think it matters where your hunting, I'm from Eastern Iowa where your lucky to get a shot off at a deer over 100 yards due to the hills. If you need a gun that can shoot longer than that accurately that's not something I know about. However my Remington 870 Wing-master with a slug barrel works just fine where I'm at.

If I was going for a dedicated deer gun for hunting out of blinds or from a stationary position a Savage is the way to go. From everything I've read it's heavy so you wouldn't wanna lug it around through the woods.

Mine is pretty heavy, but I lug it around. I would say that I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter by the end of the hunt. But, we mostly stand/blind hunt now with a couple drives just to break it up. And when I say drives, I mean me and my brother either still hunting thru on each side of a small timber or one of us walking thru to the other.

Wish sabot rounds didn't cost an arm and a leg though!

No kidding! But I guess when I only use two or three in a season, it's not that bad. The target shooting is what gets costly!

Top Bottom