Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot in CRP on permission farm

deerhunter93

I have a permission farm that has CRP and I was wondering what I need to do in order to get "permission" to put in a food plot? Do I need to just get the OK from the landowner? Need to work through the FSA office? Or is there something else I need to do?

I have a permission farm that has CRP and I was wondering what I need to do in order to get "permission" to put in a food plot? Do I need to just get the OK from the landowner? Need to work through the FSA office? Or is there something else I need to do?
Both. I would first talk to the Landowner. If they are OK with it ask them what specific program they are in (Not all CRP programs allow CRP). From there, you or landowner need to update the conservation plan with NRCS in the local USDA office.

Another option besides just a food plot to check:

Fire-lines added extra food plot space for me when I used to do prescribed burns on CRP. Those can add up fast acre wise and did not count on the food plot acres that were planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice has already been provided...but just to emphasize, IMO...even if the landowner were to grant permission, I would still get the conservation plan amended/approved with the NRCS before I would do something that could get the landowner in trouble and possibly threaten his/her CRP payment.

But...it should be very achievable without significant headache.

Thanks guys! The only plots I've done have been small clover plots in timber openings so I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right and not getting the landowner in trouble.

Another option besides just a food plot to check:

Fire-lines added extra food plot space for me when I used to do prescribed burns on CRP. Those can add up fast acre wise and did not count on the food plot acres that were planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you do that after the fact or had to when it signed up? I'd love to do that on a piece that is half way thru the contract.

Top Bottom