Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Size Threshold?

CornDude

What do you guys think is the minimum size of a food plot/effort & cost? I've got a number of locations I can plant but I don't want to waste my time if it's too small. I'd say the areas I've got range from 2500 square feet to a half acre. Is the 2500 square feet worth the effort? Is the half acre worth it? There is a good number of deer that roam the area so there would be plenty of feeding pressure.

We just made two small food plots. Hard to say on the size for sure. Also too early to say how effective they will be. I am guessing since we hunt big riverbottom timber that the turkeys will love them to strut in.

In North American Hunter they had an excellent article on hunting plots - being food plots in 1/4 acres to 3/4 acres in size.

I think that size of plot needs to factor in what you plant, pressure on it, & what you want it to do. I had 4 acre plot of beans that never got over about 4" tall last year- grazed off as fast as they grew. 2 acres of corn made pretty good ears but was gone by Nov 1st. In addition the 2 acres of rye was grazed down to nothing. Really no row crops for a mile or so in any direction of my place so what I put out gets pounded hard. You could do well with a small clover plot if everything else is corn & beans around you. Lots of variables to optimal size.

I would think about putting a cold weather food plot in. Sounds like it might be hard to keep a plot during spring. If you would put rye or something like that it will make it until the cold weather really comes. Small food plots can be really good. Just remember you are trying to make your land better than it was last year, so any type of food plot will benefit your farm. I still would look at a cold weather food plot. just a thought!

The forcast for this weekend looks good for planting plots. I just got 25#'s of imperial clover so hopefully it will be planted before the weekend is over. What you guys said is encouraging and I feel better going with the small plots now. Thanks

Another great attractand and is good when getting an plot that has been idle for a few years. I have went in in august and plowed under sod, disked it a couple of weeks later and plant oats on it. The stay green for a long time and the deer love it and the next spring you can go in and plant a better food plot. I have done this when turning CRP into food plots.

As far as the number of deer a small food plot will support, I just saw a show on TOC that said 1 acre would support and hold 3 deer. Made me think a guy would need several plots to hold deer on his land.

I planted 1/2 acre of biologic/tyflon turnip mix last year with great results.Added three 1/4 acre plots this year, plan to put corn in them to supplement the bio/turnips.

i planted about 1/2 acre of antler max in a small corner of my pasture and never seen deer tracks there befoe and now even beofer its coming up deer tracks all over it. do u tihnk that deer can smell the crop grownig or somthing anyone know an answer?

Here's an opinion... I think the deer may be reacting just to the presence of the bare dirt at this point. I was surprised how much a lane that was bulldozed through the timber around Labor Day last Fall seemed to attract the deer. It really seemd to me that the bare dirt was a drawing card for them.

I think there may be some truth to that. I believe they instinctively check out newly turned (or burned ground for that matter) for tender chutes and primary growth vegetation. I have read in many articles that this type of growth is very pallatible and nutricous not just for deer but wildlife in general.

Top Bottom