Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Success

JOSHBRNDT

We have been working on this property for some time to make it, 1) easier to hunt and 2) to put in food plots to hold the deer. Lots of hard work have gone into this plot and we finally have had some success.

We actually wanted to put a plot in this old water way for sometime and last year when the drought hit this was the only area that was still green. So we made a plan to put a plot in this summer. Well there were a lot of trials and tribulations with our mower. So I decided I would spray the head high grass and see what would happen. Everything died but it turned into a lot more work than anticipated, because when it died everything fell over and it was too low to mow it. So we went over all the dead grass with our disk for about 2 hours and we thought what the heck. The ground is wet and damp so we spread our beets, radishes, and turnips.

To our surprise, due to the fact the 100 degree temperature came right after we planted, the plot came up and is looking amazing. My dad said that we were wasting our time and money. Its been a long time coming to finally get one of our plots to look this good. There have been many a days of sweeting and busting our humps. Lets just say when we pulled up to the plot there were a few fist pumps and high fives.
picture.php

I was feelin fairly good about my plots but that kinda makes 'em look a bit sick. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Checked the food plot last Sunday and the Turnips are the size of a beer can. With this warmer weather this weekend they should have grown bigger. The deer are hammering the plot right now but no big bucks. Just some 2 year olds and a lot of does.

Congrats, even if you don't harvest a "big" buck still a successful year on the management side of things. I know I would be proud.

Top Bottom