• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Hunterra - Custom Hunting Property Maps

Food plotting

newfarmer

So I’m shifting some of my equipment to make it “easier” for food plotting and I’m contemplating some 3 pt tillage pieces (just can’t justify no till yet). I’m looking at a field cultivator or a disc, but not sure which one I’d prefer. Thoughts or opinions? Anyone else using 3 pt stuff for some guidance? All of the other stuff just is to big and bulky for some of the plots and I don’t have room to expand them at this time.

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I started with disc & cultipacker. I like a disc because you can go shallow. & for 95% of projects- shallow is what u want. No reason to be tearing up erodible soil 6” deep for example.
If you get a cultipacker or a cultimulcher- u can do all your small seeds with very light disc or even no disc …. then packing, seeding & packing.
If u r patient & bid at multiple auctions….. u could get a small drill in the $1-5k range btw. Worth considering. I got a small drill with 2 boxes for $500 one time.

Echo above: what size plots & what all are u planting?

newfarmer

I have a 40hp JD. I have access to 65 and bigger HP tractors but those start to get to big for my small plots. My 2 biggest plots are just under 2 acres each, and then I have 4 that are at that acre size. So total of 8ish acres currently -I might take on my buddies plots too.
As far as seed, I plant anything except corn it seems. Just never had good luck with corn but the flip side I will be honest with myself, I haven’t put the time or units into the corn to truly get good stands either. Beans and Brassicas are the tickets on my area it seems so I usually gravitate towards them

Bassattackr

Based on that information, I'd get a disc. A good heavy 6' box frame disc on a 3 point mount would work well for your tractor. Tillers are nice for smaller plots under an acre due to their maneuverability, etc. But if you're doing 8 acres, you'd spend 3 days out there trying to till that much land. Disc is much quicker and covers the acres better..

Then also a good ag grade cultipacker as Skip mentioned and you're set.

About this Discussion

Top Bottom