Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foodplot irrigation- gravity siphon

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Put this plot in last weekend. Decent germination but getting really dry. This is an area below a pond. So I spent some time yesterday getting an irrigation line going. It took a couple of hours of wading in the pond to get it working right be seems to be doing the job really well. It's a low pressure ground saturation method. I'll move the line each day for a couple days until the whole plot is saturated. No erosion, no seed run off. Just real slow saturation.

Left it on for one more day and big storm front came in. Nothing like fighting the storm at 3:00 am too get it turned off! Dag Nab

Great idea. My contractor never got around to rebuilding my pond levee this summer so I don't have a convenient water source. Got great germination of all seed after planting on August 23 and receiving .6 of rain in the first week, but the forecast is starting to look concerning. This is a new plot so I have a lot of perennials (alfalfa, various white clovers) trying to establish. When do you veteran food plot starters start to worry about the lack of rain? I guess I can always frost seed those if it fails.

Top Bottom