Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frustrated to no other.

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

Ok so here's how my day went. Got to the stand 5am.... 8am 2 does and a buck come through. Leave for lunch come back see nothing until last light. I see the biggest buck ever on public,coming in at last light. I was almost out into the cut corn about to walk out. I quickly duck back in kneel down and watch him move I fast down the tree line and the corn, I ranged him 61 yards to far, wait till he's 40 yards perfectly broadside and let the arrow rip. Now I didn't hear the normal tree cracking sound like I did with a shoulder shot and he flipped around like he was his and ran off no stopping nothing and straight into the wood. Now I couldn't find my arrow or blood in the location of impact. It got dark so we backed out. If it was a clean miss would he still have barreled ass and not look back or would he have darted stopped and locked around. I did hear a nice thud and confirmed that with my cousin and he said sounded like a solid hit. Is it normal not to find the arrow or blood at the impact site? Going back out at 8am after my sleep study tonight to look for him and my arrow. I will look nonstop until I find my arrow or the deer. Please help with tips.

Ok, so you have a thud, and a bolt, he s definitely hit. How many pounds and are you pulling??? At 40 yards you might not of got a pass threw. So you got the arrow stuck inside the deer. Which is blocking the flow of blood out of the wound.

Biggest thing is back out, (Which you already did) and be very persistent. In your search.

Or the arrow could have smoked right through him and be 20 + yards on the other side. Did you see it hanging out of him?

From the ground both you entry and exit holes will be up higher so there may not be much blood till he fills up or starts blowing it out his nose.

Stay persistent and positive. Keep after him.

I'm shooting 60lb 27.5 draw and using the piledriver Hunter arrows tipped with a rage 2 blade original . . . . . I did not see the arrow in him when he flipped the shitty and bolted back to the timbers. . . . I'm heading out right away at sun up getting my crew ready for a whole day search until I find the arrow and or deer. . . . .

From what u have said, If I was a betting man, he s a dead deer. Your probably going to pick up a blood trail at daylight. If your blood trail runs out, absolutely comb the place, thicket after thicket. It's what it takes to get it done.

20161105_100039_zpscwaljtme.jpg

I'm going to call him scar. . . . He has a nice gash under his eye from fighting I think.

Nice buck! Congrats! I'd guess he's 2.5, maybe 3.5. It's tough to tell when they aren't standing. Congrats again!

Shot placement and recovery story?
Shot placement was dead smack in front of the left front leg. Backed out until 9am and gathered my 15 year old nephew and 12 year old niece to go help with the recovery . I took the tips I gained from here and went back to my tree ranged 41 where I shot him and out to 61 when I was told the arrow could travel 20 yards on pass through. Then we made a 3 man wide path down the field in the direction he ran. Found blood. 10 yards further we found my arrow solid blood no guts so was confident on the hit. I proceeded to let the kids learn to follow the blood and not to step on the paths and we kept marking the blood trail with arrows so if we lost blood we could go back to the last spot. . . . Then we got into the thick timbers and milkweed and one said you know where he's going don't you I of all people thought Creek? Sure enough follow the blood out of the timbers and milkweed and there he be down for the count in his own bedding area. I never thought a deer would run back to the bedding and drop there. . . . This was my first tracking job with the kiddos as every other hunt ended with the deer dropping less than 20 yards from the shot and out in the open. . . Lesson learned for me and 2 kids that backing out and giving him the night to expire turned out to be rewarding. . . . Now it's time to take the nephew out tomorrow all day to try and fill his tag. Had him on 5 does tonight at 90 yards and they would not come closer.... I'm very happy with the end results.

Top Bottom