Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FYI Iowa City Bowhunters

katy

Ballagh
We had a meeting with the DNR yesterday. The topic of Iowa City Sharp Shooters came up, and there has not been a contract signed yet with a sharp shooter to come in yet. If it were my city, I would be hounding them like crazy to let the bowhunters take care of the hot spots in the parks and urban areas! And to put there $325,000 twoard something else! Just thought I would give you guys the heads up! Your city started a Deer task force, and they recommended to let the bowhunters take care of the problem, and it sounds like they are playing hard ball with their own task force. Might want to make a few calls or stop by city hall and voice your opinion!

Last fall, I contacted a family friend who also happens to occupy a seat on the Iowa City council. He agrees other deer control methods need to be utilized. There are one or two key members who are vehemently opposed to bow hunting. Might be time to call him again and see if there is some way to help him persuade the council.

Lets see, if we could get 30 of us to go and clean house with our bows, 325,000 thirty ways, 10 grand each, sounds about right and who is with me.

In reality I would definitely like to voice my opinion, I live and go to school in Iowa City and know of many areas that need some help with the deer population. Does anyone have any contact numbers, email addresses for the council that they could pass along so I could help voice my opinion.

Thanks

Ask and thou shall recieve:
http://www.icgov.org/citycouncil.htm

I'm sure Bob Elliot would be receptive to constructive ideas.

My feeling on this is bowhunters might not have to kill 325 deer. By applying hunting pressure the deer might not congregate in town so readily. If they aren't safe in city limits, they might stay in the country where they can be hunted by other methods. Just a thought.

I noticed that the sharp shooters were allowed to hunt only after other seasons had ended. I contacted a person I know at the DNR and asked why. It seemed to me that you would want to have sharp shooting during the other seasons so the deer could not simply relocate to avoid pressure. The DNR response was that the sharp shooters were baiting and they didn't want the bait to pull deer into the city that might otherwise be available to "regular" hunters. Okay, I can kind of see this but still think that if there is constant hunting pressure within the city, the deer will take the hint and move on.

I am under the inpression that the gentleman that they have come in to do it is from out of state to start with. He uses a $7000.00 rifle with night vision scopes, and takes out the does and some bucks in the late seasons! He does this in a lot of other states also. I'll see whast else I can come up with.

How would you like to be that "guy" that goes in with all that gear in the city to take out some deer? I bet he sees come bruisers hunting in the city!

White Buffalo is the name of the outfit that "manages" the Iowa City herd...

White Buffalo

You are dealing with a different breed of cat here. I have pointed to Coralville that has been more successful at reducing numbers via bowhunters and still get no reaction. There is a real problem here with alot of intelligent people with no common sense.

We had a team for an MBA class that examined options for reducing deer car collisions. Not exactly the same issue here but we went through fencing, contraception, trapping, sharpshooting, and hunting as methods for reducing the number of collisions. Even if you have a program to "certify" hunters, pay for staffing, a check station, etc. The hunting option is the only viable option close to cost neutral. All this assumed that herd reduction tags were given away. Even if a hunter were given a small "bounty" and paying all costs for administration it would be cheaper than sharpshooting. The expression intelligence has nothing to do with politics is never more true than when you talk about Iowa City.

You IC boys might want to put the heat on now! They are going to be voting on this next week possbily!!!! Looks like they are considering bow hunting!

TOPIC Iowa City Deer Management Plan for 2005-06.

The Commission is asked to approve the authorization of sharp shooting deer in Iowa City for 2005-2006 with the following stipulations: 1) take anlerless deer only; 2) removal of antlerless deer to be done between January 11, 2006 and February 28, 2006; 3) Iowa City should develop a plan that uses bow hunting on areas where suitable, and allow sharp shooting in areas where bow hunting can not be done because of access logistics.

Mike Brandrup, Administrator
Conservation and Recreation Division

Supertec,

Iowa City will never be a bowhunting approved city. Limb had it right.... it's a different breed of cat. No matter how much "heat" is applied.

Top Bottom