Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Game Recovery

B

Baker

I was just thinking of last years turkey hunt where I shot my first turkey. The thing hadn't stopped flopping and there was already a turkey vulture circling at the tree tops ready for a meal. I was wondering if any one had any stories of having to fight off another animal just to recover your game.

I've heard of several stories of coyotes and deer during shotgun season. They apparantly would come into the area after the shooting is finished and sniff out the blood trails. Kind've cool if you asked me, one of the smartest animals in the world in my opinion.

I shot a buck this year,(longbow) thought I might have had a marginal hit, and it ran into standing corn, so I decided to let it go overnight. Found it the next morning 75 yards from my stand and as I snuck up through the corn rows I saw a red fox sitting on its hindquarters having breakfast.
A friend shot a doe on Thanksgiving morning and waited two hours to take up the trail and buzzards had already eaten her eyes and were working on the body of the deer.

steve

Two shot gun season's ago, we shot a deer in a timber. We field dressed it right there. So we left behind it's insides in a big pile. We drug the deer out of the timber, and a small trial of blood was left behind. About two hours later, me and my buddy sat with in 80 yards of the gut pile. And we heard what sounded like a deer running right towards us, but after my friend shot, i saw a good sized coyote laying on the ground. The coyote fallowed the blood trail that led to the gut pile, but he picked the wrong time to do it.
My friend can hit a coyote, but not a deer. LOL!
Good hunting!

Top Bottom