Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Generator

Handcannon

We've been forewarned of the coming blackouts. I heard yesterday that 2/3 of the nation are expected to have issues, some areas already are. I'm getting prepared. Bought a 9000w generator, the cord to supply the house, the outlet to put on the house, wire, breaker & interlock.

Anyone else ready or getting ready? Or not concerned at all?

This country needs to get it's head screwed on straight or we are going to look like a 3rd world country soon. November can't get here soon enough. This insanity has to stop!

I've got a 25 kw pto generator with a thousand gallons of diesel just in case. Hope I don't need it. Looks like the decision to book our fuel needs for the year in January was a good one.

Not worried. If it happens, how will they charge the electric cars that are being pushed so hard?

By pushing those electric cars?

We have a pto generator we bought off a retiring dairy farmer. Had a disconnect box wired in. But then need fuel for the tractors.

Talking about a LP generator and then top off the 1000 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What all those obnoxious windmills I'm staring at out my kitchen window aren't powering our homes???? lol

i had a plug put into my electrical box that I can plug my generator into & technically run the whole house but I’m sure we’d limit what we ran. I have 2000 gallons (1000 unleaded & 1000 diesel). 2 generators in case one took a crap. All fueled with fresh fuel. I’ll check them once a year.
Thousands of rounds of ammo. Stocked ponds. Endless wildlife. Gardens & orchards. I’m far from paranoid but I’m also very well prepared if things continue with the trajectory we are at.

My buddy in Cedar Rapids found a carburetor that enables a gasoline generator to run off LP. It would be far better than handling gasoline. I can't have a fuel barrel in town.
Temp is going to be in 90s to low 100s this week. Going to be interesting. I talked to a guy that works at a major power utility. At one of the 4 plants, they have used up the coal pile because UP is not bringing coal. The company plans to shutdown that plant. 25% of production gone...blackouts.
Those windmills are not as great as we are told. If the government stops the subsidies...those too will be turned off. They are not a $ maker...without the subsidies.

There is a company in Minnesota called Carbturbo that can supply LP or N Gas carbs for almost any spark ignited engine.

I think Michael Moore did one of his “documentaries” on how dirty solar panel production is, high percentage don’t work right off the line, then faulty or broken panels are a disposal nightmare. Same thing with the wind turbine blades as they are composite materials that can’t be easily recycled.

Ethanol doesn’t pencil with $2 corn without govt subsidies and used a lot of water in the process.

I’ve been reading on the small nuclear reactors that use liquid sodium as a coolant. Seems they can run off the spent fuels from the old type reactors. But the left shuts down immediately when the n word is spoken (no, not that one). Nuclear is fine by me, spent my whole life living within 70 miles of Palo and haven’t been freaked out. I think we have the pitfall’s of the old systems figured out to build redundant protections in the new plants.

I think “we” are getting ahead of the state of technology here for solar and wind, need something that is “on demand” rather than trying to store during times of peak production.

50 solar panel system, with 20 kw LP generator and auto transfer switch. Haven't paid for electric since installed, and it only takes 8 seconds of no power for the generator to self start. It's pretty slick.

Is this a stand alone system or are you tied to the grid?

I think Michael Moore did one of his “documentaries” on how dirty solar panel production is, high percentage don’t work right off the line, then faulty or broken panels are a disposal nightmare. Same thing with the wind turbine blades as they are composite materials that can’t be easily recycled.

Ethanol doesn’t pencil with $2 corn without govt subsidies and used a lot of water in the process.

I’ve been reading on the small nuclear reactors that use liquid sodium as a coolant. Seems they can run off the spent fuels from the old type reactors. But the left shuts down immediately when the n word is spoken (no, not that one). Nuclear is fine by me, spent my whole life living within 70 miles of Palo and haven’t been freaked out. I think we have the pitfall’s of the old systems figured out to build redundant protections in the new plants.

I think “we” are getting ahead of the state of technology here for solar and wind, need something that is “on demand” rather than trying to store during times of peak production.

I am far from a Michael Moore fan…. But this is pretty darn good. It has some errors & “selective editing & claims” but still excellent in most regards…

It would do Michael Moore good to spend a few days in cowboy camp with these guys

Attachments

• 076A5B9E-87A2-4316-8045-0C92300C3FA6.jpeg
    076A5B9E-87A2-4316-8045-0C92300C3FA6.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 24
8c8a14bdf6a4af99f1cb18313ade6117.jpg

Thanks for the nudge. I’ve been on the 3500w + a shitload of extension cords plan since the derecho. Time to up my game while the sun is still shining.

50 solar panel system, with 20 kw LP generator and auto transfer switch. Haven't paid for electric since installed, and it only takes 8 seconds of no power for the generator to self start. It's pretty slick.
If the power goes out, are you not able to run off the solar? I thought you'd be able to have a disconnect switch just like when I hook up my generator.
I'm interested in this, I like anything that gives me independence. I have a pto generator but that's not free to operate and only lasts as long as my fuel.

Is this a stand alone system or are you tied to the grid?

Tied to the grid. Batteries were too expensive with no substantial long term testing, so I opted for the best I could afford. Last year, I produced a touch more than I consumed, which you want to net zero, because you make pennies on the dollar for over producing. If SHTF, and I run out of LP, I can at least run my electrical directly off of solar, when the sun is shining.

If the power goes out, are you not able to run off the solar? I thought you'd be able to have a disconnect switch just like when I hook up my generator.
I'm interested in this, I like anything that gives me independence. I have a pto generator but that's not free to operate and only lasts as long as my fuel.
Fuel, (gasoline, LP, diesel, natural gas, etc.), will all run out eventually. So will batteries, but it's unknown how many recharges you'll get before they do. Anyway, if the sun is shining, then yes, I can run my home electric directly off of it, as the transfer switch will have me disconnected from the grid, so any power I generate will only feed into my home.

Tied to the grid. Batteries were too expensive with no substantial long term testing, so I opted for the best I could afford. Last year, I produced a touch more than I consumed, which you want to net zero, because you make pennies on the dollar for over producing. If SHTF, and I run out of LP, I can at least run my electrical directly off of solar, when the sun is shining.
I would be very interested to know how you go about doing running off solar when power goes out without use of batteries. I have solar panels and was told I needed batteries (which are WAY too expensive) if I was setup "on the grid" and wanted to use the power they were generating when electricity went out.

I would be very interested to know how you go about doing running off solar when power goes out without use of batteries. I have solar panels and was told I needed batteries (which are WAY too expensive) if I was setup "on the grid" and wanted to use the power they were generating when electricity went out.

This is where I need to learn a little bit. Is there a solar system that will work “off grid” and tied to grid. I believe they are 2 different systems, is there a hybrid that will do both without batteries? Or minimal batteries?

Top Bottom