Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Genesis Drill Review

This is 3rd year with a Genesis 5 heavy drill. Been great for us. We don’t have the small seed bin, mixing them all in the main bin has worked fine. Get as heavy as a drillas you can.

First year we used 45hp Deutz tractor—no weights on the front besides a loader. The heavy drill was a bit too much going up some of our steeper hills to the food plots.

Last 2 years, we have used a 75hp JD and has worked beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8bb0441b89d7ab688c02576773bd7057.jpg

This is my Rig !! Maybe I should think
About the 3 , won’t cover side to side on back . I have go up some goat paths . I’d be sick if I couldn’t get to them
. Plenty flat ground . 3 just seems small . And lots of passes . Sure be faster then disking .

I am really thinking about getting a 5 light . I have a Kubota L4060 (40HP) Rated at 2800LBS pick up . Light I believe is 1600LBS . I really wonder if plants the DLBTREE mix well. If your trying to get Rye /Oats / Peas half inch in the ground I feel would be deep for the clover / Radish . I'm tired of plowing , tilling , seeding , packing . It's a lot of time when I have limited time . Do any of you have the no till coulters as well ? I know that is options , I also seen they sell collars for small seed to get planting depth above a half inch for small seeds .. $17K is a Chunk ... Hate to Ride a Wheeeelieeeeeee..
The lite is 1768 lbs empty

About the 3 , won’t cover side to side on back . I have go up some goat paths . I’d be sick if I couldn’t get to them
. Plenty flat ground . 3 just seems small . And lots of passes . Sure be faster then disking .

Man, congrats. That’s a game changer!!! I started with a rake & weed whipper. Then a 4 wheeler. Your machine is awesome & your farm work got massively enhanced. Awesome & fire back how it goes - or if questions. Get after it!!

The lite is 1768 lbs empty
Do you think I would have a problem once I filled with 400LBs of seed Id be about 400LBS from Max lifting .. I know the 5 heavy is out of the questions My tractor is on a bigger frame worry about going up hills. I assume the 3 would plant better because more weight on each row ?

JBohn, i have a Genesis 3 that i was thinking about selling and moving up to the 5. Mine has about 10 acres of planting is all. I have a 5000 series 65hp tractor and started to do more plots scattered around a much larger area so thinking about the 5’ model. Not sure how many acres you plot, but the 3’ is actually fairly quick in comparison to tilling, harrowing, seeding, cultipacking, etc. located in SE Iowa. Let me know if you are interested.

Is it possible to lower the drill without it engaging? If so, you could just lower it when going up a big hill and pull it instead of carrying it up.

Is it possible to lower the drill without it engaging? If so, you could just lower it when going up a big hill and pull it instead of carrying it up.
That would work if you have the wheel kit .. I'm looking at 3pt.. I got 3200 at the points and 2800lbs 24inch behind . I think I can handle a 5 light !!!

Last edited:
That would work if you have the wheel kit .. I'm looking at 3pt.. I got 3200 at the points and 2800lbs 24inch behind . I think I can handle a 5 light !!!
I was talking about the 3 pt , but maybe they can't be lowered without them engaging.

Yea John I'd say your big red dualie tractor behind your orange one will handle that 5 just fine! :p

OK, in all seriousness... Looks like your Kubota is the same weight as our LS MT350e (50 HP) - About 4500 lbs with loader ?? Our LS gets a little squirrely on the front end with a 1500 lb disc on the back going up a hill. We have hills in central MO where our farm is as well..

Hydraulic lift is seldom the issue on compact tractors, it's always a balance issue. Compact Utility tractors run about 1,000 lbs or so lighter than their comparable HP Ag Utility tractor counterparts, yet have similar hydraulic capacities. So the "useable" capacity ends up being much less..

IMO the 5 Light is too much drill for that tractor in a hilly environment, the 3 would be manageable.. 1100 lbs empty, 1400+ lbs full would be a safe bet on hills.

Last edited:
Yea John I'd say your big red dualie tractor behind your orange one will handle that 5 just fine! :p

OK, in all seriousness... Looks like your Kubota is the same weight as our LS MT350e (50 HP) - About 4500 lbs with loader ?? Our LS gets a little squirrely on the front end with a 1500 lb disc on the back going up a hill. We have hills in central MO where our farm is as well..

Hydraulic lift is seldom the issue on compact tractors, it's always a balance issue. Compact Utility tractors run about 1,000 lbs or so lighter than their comparable HP Ag Utility tractor counterparts, yet have similar hydraulic capacities. So the "useable" capacity ends up being much less..

IMO the 5 Light is too much drill for that tractor in a hilly environment, the 3 would be manageable.. 1100 lbs empty, 1400+ lbs full would be a safe bet on hills.

I think your 100 percent correct . Appreciate your feedback !! Yes the my Red Tractor is better :) ha ha ha !!!

Just doing my research !!!!! Questions

If you are going to no till , These are what I plant in my 7-8 acres each year .

- Soy Beans , I use my JDNT 7000 (2) row , Thing is sweet , Broadcast Brassica by hand cause they get smoked Mid July. Trying Eagle forage this year . I know mixed thought but I want to try for my self if they don't canopy not sure there will be a issue with over seeding .

-Dlbtree Cereal Mix
- Brassica Mix

I live about 800 Miles from my farm , I often return to fields that are over run and seed heads on what ever is growing . Not in all cases but last year plots didn't turn out well. some are a mess.

If one got to a field in September and it was 3 foot with junk , could you spray and no till and be fine ?

- How does thatch effect seed germination ?

-Could you spray say 3-4 weeks before planting ? Would that dry soil out the soil to much in August ?

Trying to figure out if a drill will be effective for me , If I lived there and could prep seems pretty simple , want to make sure this option works best for me before I pull the trigger.

Typical Planting year in fall is about a 4 days .

-Mow
-Disk /Till
-Spread Grains , Drag in
-Use Brillion to pack , drop clover and radish .
-9 out of 10 years this works great But takes a lot of time as well hope we don't get rain those days or I'm back to square 1

It's difficult with time , to get out there back to back weeks , sometimes its a month before schedule allows so fighting a few battles .

Thoughts welcome please.

Just doing my research !!!!! Questions

If you are going to no till , These are what I plant in my 7-8 acres each year .

- Soy Beans , I use my JDNT 7000 (2) row , Thing is sweet , Broadcast Brassica by hand cause they get smoked Mid July. Trying Eagle forage this year . I know mixed thought but I want to try for my self if they don't canopy not sure there will be a issue with over seeding .

-Dlbtree Cereal Mix
- Brassica Mix

I live about 800 Miles from my farm , I often return to fields that are over run and seed heads on what ever is growing . Not in all cases but last year plots didn't turn out well. some are a mess.

If one got to a field in September and it was 3 foot with junk , could you spray and no till and be fine ?

- How does thatch effect seed germination ?

-Could you spray say 3-4 weeks before planting ? Would that dry soil out the soil to much in August ?

Trying to figure out if a drill will be effective for me , If I lived there and could prep seems pretty simple , want to make sure this option works best for me before I pull the trigger.

Typical Planting year in fall is about a 4 days .

-Mow
-Disk /Till
-Spread Grains , Drag in
-Use Brillion to pack , drop clover and radish .
-9 out of 10 years this works great But takes a lot of time as well hope we don't get rain those days or I'm back to square 1

It's difficult with time , to get out there back to back weeks , sometimes its a month before schedule allows so fighting a few battles .

Thoughts welcome please.
Sounds to me like you'd be in a much better position hiring somone near your farm to do our plots. Likly dollars ahead too.

Going no till would certainly reduce your weed pressure.

Sounds to me like you'd be in a much better position hiring somone near your farm to do our plots. Likly dollars ahead too.

Going no till would certainly reduce your weed pressure.
Working the ground and my farm is most of the fun. I honestly wouldn't enjoy if I couldn't do myself . The land honestly more fun to me than deer hunting :) sit in stand thinking of how to Improve my farm . Appreciate the feedback .

Check out the regenerative philosophy. Deep rabbit hole but you would be planting multi species plots 2-3 times per year. Great for the soil, helps keep weeds down, smorgasbord for the deer, reduced fertilizer and herbicide usage, etc.

I am thinking about getting a genesis 5 drill and debating between the HD and the Lite model. I think my tractor would probably handle the 5HD but i much prefer the lite model for hauling the tractor/drill on a trailer. Will the 5 lite model without the optional cutters do ok in true no till situations in old pasture or hay ground?

I am thinking about getting a genesis 5 drill and debating between the HD and the Lite model. I think my tractor would probably handle the 5HD but i much prefer the lite model for hauling the tractor/drill on a trailer. Will the 5 lite model without the optional cutters do ok in true no till situations in old pasture or hay ground?
Yup non issue. But if I could run HD I would.

So I purchased a Genesis 3 , Actually off of SmithHunter1975 he delivered which was awesome . I went this route for several reasons. Tractor size was a big reason . I couldn't handle the weight of a landpride or bigger Genesis I dint want to take that chance. I talked to a few dealers and got great advice. Why do you want to spend an additional 8K on a bigger drill. That's what sold me on the 3 . Because I am only doing 6 acres total. Made sense to me . Took a little extra time but compared to disking , packing in the rest of it . what use to take me 3-4 days took me less than one . with good results . Changed the way I do things .. Wish I would of gotten one a long time ago. Game Changer Tractor handles it easy . SO less wear and tear for me, super easy..

Top Bottom