Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting busted...

madplotter

PMA Member
I got busted twice this morning, I assume the first one was me but I never saw the deer so it could have been a predator. Never the less, had 2 good snorts straight west with a SW wind so who knows about that one. Then had a buck bust me under the tree, not much I can do, was hunting a dip in a draw but of course he snorts his way to the next draw. I figure it's the rut so I don't let it affect me too much. I don't worry about the bucks as long as the does are keeping it normal. Just curious how everyone else handles this?

I only have a couple hundred acres to hunt and I use the wind to the max but thermals and currents will always happen. We do have a few guys from a very popular and well known web show hunting across the fence like it's the only land in the world so I'm guessing they've been well educated.

A young buck snuck in on me Monday morning and caught me swiveling my head to look at him. He spun out of there, blew 4 to 6 times as he trotted away. I figure deer hear that fairly often and don't come too unglued about it. Did see another buck cruise by half hour later.

A young buck snuck in on me Monday morning and caught me swiveling my head to look at him. He spun out of there, blew 4 to 6 times as he trotted away. I figure deer hear that fairly often and don't come too unglued about it. Did see another buck cruise by half hour later.
I had a young buck 30 yards out today when a hen and her large poults flew to this side of the creek landing on limbs, then they proceeded to fly down and I was surprised that it spooked the yearling and he huffed and hopped away.

I don’t let it bother me unless it happens a couple times, then the wind/thermals aren’t what I think and I will leave

I watched a deer Tuesday blow a couple times about 60 yea from me and I thought it was me. She ended up walking to 15yds if me and bedding up for an hour. Never know wtf they are doing lol

This coming from the smelliest person in the woods, at least as far as the deer are concerned…… Just keep hunting. I’ve had numerous deer blow around, several upwind, but sometimes it is me, sometimes a coyote, heck I’ve even had does and fawns blow at bucks that are pestering them. Just hunt and do your best to manage the wind. Now overhunt a spot early, get winded or seen by does consistently early you’ve made a problem!!

Happened to me last night and I actually got down and left my farm. Supposed to be a SW wind, got the milkweed out, and sure enough, a lot of east in that wind. Its along a North-South creek travel corridor, so I would have winded every passing deer. Not going to do that on November 4th, maybe in a few days if I get desperate.

Top Bottom