Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GM AFM Disabler

deerdown

Anyone use an AFM Disabler on their GM truck? Experience with it?
I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 173k miles. It runs great, but after reading about lifter issues with trucks with AFM I'm wondering if I should disable the AFM on it.
I'd like to keep the truck another 50k miles, but am I rolling the dice with my lifters and running it with AFM?

My mechanic recommended that I put one on.
So I put 1 on a 2008 gmc at 75,000 ran it till 200,000 miles with now engine issues.
Now driving a 2017 and put 1 on it right away also.

Was your '08 GMC burning any oil when you put it on? Trying to figure out if it'd help or hurt my motor at 173k miles and I burn about 2qts between 5k mile oil changes.

It was using oil before I put it on bout the same amount yours is going through, it never used any more than that after I put the disabler on.
I also changed oil every 3,000 miles that is what my mechanic strongly recommended on this engine. oil is cheep compared to a new engine.

Sorry, but are you saying it didn't use any oil after you put it on, or it still used oil, but no more than it had previously used? Appreciate the help.

All good on your ? Asking.
Still used oil after I put it on but no more than before.
One thing iam very peticular on is always using the same brand oil.

Crazy, I just started looking into these. I have a 2008 Silverado with 150k on it, and it's using a quart to a 1.5 quarts every 5k miles. The range for a couple hundred $$ seems like a pretty safe investment.

Spent a lot of time reading on AFM over the past 3 days. Has me spooked now. Love my Tahoe, but don't want to break down on the side of the road 400 miles from home either. I've spent the last 3 hours looking at newer Fords with 2.7 or 3.5. Always been a GM guy, but I think Ford makes a better product these days. I'll be the odd guy out in camp with all those chevy owners now. Drove a 2022 Ford with the 3.5l yesterday, ran like a scalded cat. I was impressed. I am going to have to dust off the wallet for this one. I'd like to wait 6 months and see if prices come down a little though. Leaning towards the 2.7. Good luck!

Spent a lot of time reading on AFM over the past 3 days. Has me spooked now. Love my Tahoe, but don't want to break down on the side of the road 400 miles from home either. I've spent the last 3 hours looking at newer Fords with 2.7 or 3.5. Always been a GM guy, but I think Ford makes a better product these days. I'll be the odd guy out in camp with all those chevy owners now. Drove a 2022 Ford with the 3.5l yesterday, ran like a scalded cat. I was impressed. I am going to have to dust off the wallet for this one. I'd like to wait 6 months and see if prices come down a little though. Leaning towards the 2.7. Good luck!
I have a 17 f150 with a 3.5 we bought new. Thing has more snap than a guy will need in a half ton truck. Just rolled over 70k zero issues. Imo they ride and are way more comfortable than GM. A buddy of mine has a 620 ranger that he pulls with a 2.7 pulls good going down the road. On a long launch it will grunt a little coming out of the water.

My 3.5 ecoboost was older, a 2013. It soured me on that engine. I won't have another. Put a turbo in it at 70k miles. Heard after the fact that gravel dust can make them go bad. Had constant trouble the the front hub actuators on it. Also some of the time if you put it to the floor, it would cough and sputter and have the check engine light come on and it would derate. Traded it for a 21 ram with the 5.7. Much happier with this one but it's still pretty new so time will tell.

2nd gen 3.5 came out in'14 I believe. Heard they were better. I read a lot of good things about the 2.7 which is the way I'm leaning

I had a Range on my 08 and now have the Range Pulsar LT on my 21 Silverado. I feel they work and have never had any lifter, pushrod failure.

Been reading and looking at them lately. From my studying, it sounds like regular oil changes are the best thing for AFM engines. Which, does make some sense. For example, my wife's tahoe has 245k on it. I'm pretty religious about oil changes. It seems to be going strong. BUT, I am looking at new vehicles for her, and will definitely be getting a Range.

My 3.5 ecoboost was older, a 2013. It soured me on that engine. I won't have another. Put a turbo in it at 70k miles. Heard after the fact that gravel dust can make them go bad. Had constant trouble the the front hub actuators on it. Also some of the time if you put it to the floor, it would cough and sputter and have the check engine light come on and it would derate. Traded it for a 21 ram with the 5.7. Much happier with this one but it's still pretty new so time will tell.
You are much smarter than I am...I tried TWO ecoboost engines before I got learnt. :) But I am with you now...never again.

Been reading and looking at them lately. From my studying, it sounds like regular oil changes are the best thing for AFM engines. Which, does make some sense. For example, my wife's tahoe has 245k on it. I'm pretty religious about oil changes. It seems to be going strong. BUT, I am looking at new vehicles for her, and will definitely be getting a Range.
What year Tahoe?...After reading on it for 4 hours this morning, I am leaning to trying to keep my Tahoe for another couple years. I ordered an updated valve cover today and think I'm going to send my ECM off to disable the AFM rather than use the Range.

What year Tahoe?...After reading on it for 4 hours this morning, I am leaning to trying to keep my Tahoe for another couple years. I ordered an updated valve cover today and think I'm going to send my ECM off to disable the AFM rather than use the Range.
2007 or 8...I need to double check that!

Top Bottom