Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GM AFM Disabler

I have a 2016 F150 with the 3.5- 160,000 miles and not an ounce of problem and I live on a gravel road. Its been to Montana, Colorado twice, Wyoming Twice, Northern Minnesota countless times, The Ozarks, actually just a bit of everywhere. I pull a 28 Ft camper with it during the summer with zero issues. That being said, my next truck will be a 3/4 ton no matter what, now we have 2 tractors, do some wood burning/log hauling, etc. Just need the extra size for stopping/control. I dont doubt it can do it- but I also wouldnt try to talk anyone INTO a new truck either.

2.7 or 3.5 motors?
3.5, both of them. I hate Ford as a consequence of various cam phaser, transmission issues, etc...buuuuttt...as it turns out...I now hate GM way worse. You see I have been trying to get a leased vehicle titled over to me that was my, as of August '22, late step-father.

Space and time does not permit a full explanation of all of the defugalties that I have encountered with, I can't stand to say this name...GM Financial.

Not only will I never personally own another GM product as a result of my stress with these clowns...I am seriously considering banning all employees of my company from owning GM products. :) :)

Did I mention that I HATE cars!

Had a 5.3 I bought with 150k that was taken great care of - engine went shot immediately after buying. New one & got AFM disabler from mechanic recommendations. No brainer. He was fixing so many it was bananas. I’m no expert on this but learned the hard way & talked to a few Mechanics that fuel management on 5.3’s is a death sentence on those engines. From same folks - sounds like long lasting engine when do get rid of fuel management garbage.

That's what I'm reading about AFM and it has me spooked at 173k miles, but......I love the truck...going to try to disable, put on an updated valve cover, and maybe a catch can and cross my fingers, and toes and see if I can't stretch it out. I read about the tranny and phaser issues on the Ford, and the AFM issues remained on GM up to some 2022's...

You can always go this route also. I have known plenty of guys who have installed these.

I've seen the delete kits. I don't think I'm skilled enough to install this myself. I could get it down to the intake manifold, but taking off the heads, replacing lifters, and beyond is well, beyond what I'm comfy with. I could take it apart I'm sure, but putting it back together, well, I'd end up with 2 extra gaskets, 3 extra bolts, and a lifter or two I'm guessing, lol. I think it's 3-4k for a shop to do it and that's half the value of my truck. It's almost a point of no return. Like some on here, and other forums, people have gotten 225-300k miles out of their older trucks. I'm hoping I can just do the disable and valve cover for $120 and go another 20-30k, which for me is 2-3 years.
I've been reading about a lot of problems with the 2018's on up, both GM and Ford. I figure my current Tahoe may not encounter more problems then those at this point. Dunno...

I've seen the delete kits. I don't think I'm skilled enough to install this myself. I could get it down to the intake manifold, but taking off the heads, replacing lifters, and beyond is well, beyond what I'm comfy with. I could take it apart I'm sure, but putting it back together, well, I'd end up with 2 extra gaskets, 3 extra bolts, and a lifter or two I'm guessing, lol. I think it's 3-4k for a shop to do it and that's half the value of my truck. It's almost a point of no return. Like some on here, and other forums, people have gotten 225-300k miles out of their older trucks. I'm hoping I can just do the disable and valve cover for $120 and go another 20-30k, which for me is 2-3 years.
I've been reading about a lot of problems with the 2018's on up, both GM and Ford. I figure my current Tahoe may not encounter more problems then those at this point. Dunno...
Another reasonable price add on for peace of mind would be an oil catch can.

Getting a disabler for my '14 Sierra with the 5.3. 55000 miles, hopefully get another 150000 out of it as I really like the truck.

Either a disabler, or have the ECM disabled I decided were my best choices. I sent my ECM off to get it disabled. $50 for the disable, and $11.45 postage. It's in the mail now.

Top Bottom