Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grand Slam Aspirations....

DLO

I've been thinking about this for a long time...What a great goal: to harvest all the turkey species living here in the US. I'm seriously thinking of making it one of those "must do before I die" things. Any of you guys achieved it? If not, how close are you?

When you get the chance to do it take advantage of it because life is way too short to look back and regret the fact that you didn't take the time for something that important to you. I have been lucky enough to travel and achieve Grand and Royal Slams and we are planning a World Slam trip soon. I wish you the best in your pursuit!!

How was you hunt for the Ocellated Turkey??? I've heard there are no real calling techniques as of yet. Good luck on your World Slam...I'm truely envious.

A Slam is something I always dreamed of accomplishing sometime also.Although I'll probably have to wait a good ways down the road until retirement.With the amount of time required to do this,I just don't want to give up my Summer and Fall vacations to chase turkeys yet.Just hope I still have the urge and capability to chase them after retirement.
shrug[1].gif

DLO, all I've done so far is the Grand Slam and am halfway to the second one, but very much want to finish the Royal and World Slam. Up until about 2 years ago it was believed that the only way to hunt the Oscellated was to "Arkansas" them or shoot them at night out of their roost. Lovett Williams has done a lot of research on them and is now calling them to gun with reasonable success. Lovett owns Fisheating Creek in Fla. and also runs hunts for Goulds and Oscellated. I believe you can choose a "calling" hunt or the traditional way of hunting the Oscellated.

AGS

DLO, we hunted the Goulds for our Royal Slam in Aquas Calientes, Mexico. It was kind of a pricey experience but worth every penny. The Goulds respond quite well to calling and there are plenty of birds. I think the lack of hunting pressure and large tracts of cover contribute to this. I have heard the same as allamakee as far as techniques go for the ocellated. Me personally, i dont want anything to do with shooting something out of the tree. I seen where Lovett is selling an audio tape with the vocalizations of the ocellated. hopefully calling will become more of the norm for hunting techniques. i know that you guys are feeling the same as far as the season not getting here quick enough !!

Top Bottom