Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grass to seed forestry mulched hillside

smithhunter1975

I have a forestry mulcher at my farm cleaning up a very thick and overgrown hillside. The trees are fairly small and growing so thick and close together that no deer would ever want to use it. Remaining trees will be mixed cedar, oak, walnut, and a few hickory. The mulcher is backdragging/tilling the heavier mulch areas in attempt to give me a decenter seedbed. I want to broadcast a grass to minimize invasive shrubs from coming back and also provide good deer bedding. This is primarily a south facing slope so I am hoping this turns into a preferred bedding area. What are your recommendations for grasses to seed this hillside? I was thinking canada wild rye but very open to other ideas. I would love to try some switch, but I will not be able to do any mowing so am doubtful that I can get switch established before it get choked out by all the regrowth.

I have a forestry mulcher at my farm cleaning up a very thick and overgrown hillside. The trees are fairly small and growing so thick and close together that no deer would ever want to use it. Remaining trees will be mixed cedar, oak, walnut, and a few hickory. The mulcher is backdragging/tilling the heavier mulch areas in attempt to give me a decenter seedbed. I want to broadcast a grass to minimize invasive shrubs from coming back and also provide good deer bedding. This is primarily a south facing slope so I am hoping this turns into a preferred bedding area. What are your recommendations for grasses to seed this hillside? I was thinking canada wild rye but very open to other ideas. I would love to try some switch, but I will not be able to do any mowing so am doubtful that I can get switch established before it get choked out by all the regrowth.
Wild rye grows on anything so that’s a good one!!
Erosion an issue or not so much?
Other good ones are Indian, big blue & little blue. But u need either a fluffy drill or a fluffy broadcaster. If do fluffies- could spray so u wouldn’t have to mow. Lot of options really. Could do some forbs as well like asters, sunflowers, etc etc. U will need either spray or mow & mow is a no-go so spray sure help a lot if able.

Thanks for the reply. The soil will likely be erodible but not much draining to it so should not get too much velocity. Mowing wont be good option due to slopes and intermixed trees. Spraying would need to be backpack sprayer but that might be doable. Total area is about 2.5-3ac. I had planned to broadcast pretty soon for cool season wild rye, but maybe i should hold off and frost seed switch this winter?

Top Bottom