Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground Blind Hunting 101

DannyBoy

Got a Dark Horse before the season and have been using it pretty darn effectively since opener on what I've been calling 'ground and pound' hunts. I have not sat in a treestand yet.

I've been packing it in on every hunt and setting up on the fly. I love it's mobility!! Really been trying to hunt the fringes, low impact, low key, to keep my good stands fresh for when things heat up. I have had a lot of deer right up in my face basically and they definately have known something was out of place, but couldn't figure out what it is. Seen a lot of the head bobbing/foot stomping stuff, had them staring right at me, but the only deer that have busted me were a few does that came in undetected and caught me making some noise digging through my bag. In my limited experience it seems like once one or two deer get comfortable with it, the rest do as well.

Some things I've been trying to do are get set up under some tree branches and brush it in decent, keep the sun in the eyes of oncoming deer, wear black and only having the main windows open, facing where I expect the deer to be coming from.

What I'm looking for is some input. Good/bad experiences. Things you've learned, etc. For you guys that ground blind hunt alot what are some general guidelines you try and follow, especially when you are packing it in? I know a few of you guys hunt from blinds almost exclusively, so please chime in! Thanks in advance.

Just to go in fresh and plop a blind down,,? Might work if your deer are not bothered by too many humans or human activities, but my deer would never tolerate it. Has to be there for awhile. At least a week or two for something different. Not as bad as state I came from. There you had to get things set and leave them for at least a month,,or two! When I paid for a hunt, in S Dakota, on 3,000 undisturbrd acres, ranchers took me out one afternoon, put tree stand up,,cut green pine boughs down, and leaned aluminum ladder against the tree. Parades of does,fawns, and bucks came by, same afternoon, and did not flinch,,even stepped over fresh pine boughs. I would not have believed it ,had I not seen it.

I hve found that you have to leave the blind there for a week or two before they will not be nervous around it. It helps if you can get it hid well. If you can get it really buried in a cedar or something you might get away with a first night hunt but my experience has been that it takes at least a week before they will spend any amount of time wihtin bow range of a blind that is not VERY well concealed.

I'm not an expert, but it would seem to me it would probably be better to leave the blind up so they get used to it. Young, curious deer are not the same beast as mature bucks.

Also, I'd think scent control would be the most likely chance for mistakes...I've seen people be fairly cautious with their boots and clothing, and then toss a backpack and blind in the back of the truck next to a can of chainsaw gas.

Killed some big bucks out of blinds. If your popping it up and hunting it fresh, tuck it up against a cedar tree, and clip a few branches to break it up a bit. Otherside, trees that have fallen over or a tangle of logs is great too.

Deer seem to have a problem with blinds made out of shiny material on the inside or outside, causing bright spots. Don't set up to tight to trails, etc too. I hang back a bit and try to set up for 30 yard shots.

Biggest thing you've stated that I think is important....make it pitch black and only have a few windows open, keep it shut behind you with the occasional peek hole to see if anything is slipping around you.

Blinds are wonderful in conjuction with decoys....since decoys are more effective in areas you may not have a stand in....wide open.

Slice and dice, I will be investing in a decoy in the next few days, finally. I think aside from a decoys main purpose, it should also help out a pack-in blind hunter with keeping a mature bucks attention away from the blind. Great suggestion. I've also been regularly spraying it down...

I know a lot of you guys have suggested leaving it up, but I'm just not comfortable with that, on any of my farms. It's just not an option for me. I do have an older, much crappier blind that I would risk if I found a dynamite spot.

Also, a few of you stated that you worry about deer being nervous if it hasn't sat for awhile. I have found some of the deer to be nervous but in my limited experience they have still come within range. Sunday night I had a handful of 2 and 3 year olds all within bow range. Got the death stare, foot stomping kinda action from them but they all got comfortable after awhile. I'm sure this won't always be the case!!

I usually dont even use a blind. I just stand up straight in the middle of an open field where deer are frequently going. If I don't move, flinch, or scratch my face they usually dont do anything except for blow, stomp their feet, and run away. Some even feed out to me until they are 80-125 yards away and then they notice and react. Its pretty cool, you should try it sometime.

What you have been doing so far with the blind is what I have found as well. Breaking up the outline of the blind is key (e.g set up under a low hanging tree, against a cedar or blowdown, etc). Brushing it in helps as well but, of course, is more time consuming. Additionally, wearing black, keeping the sun out of the blind and only having windows open as necessary to shoot are also very helpful (also helps with scent containment). Deer can bust you in a tree or on the ground - many of the same rules apply.
However, scent control may be even more important in ground blinds as you are now at their level. The ground blind is not air tight so scent will get out. We have to do our best to control it. Just as in treestand hunting - set up downwind of where the deer are expected to come in from. I've shot a number of deer from a ground blind. Many of them stare and stomp, but eventually go about their business. I've never had one run the other way because of the blind itself. Regarding leaving the blind for the deer to get used to it, I hunt primarily public land and unfortunately I cannot trust leaving my gear in the field for any amount of time. For what little private land I hunt I don't leave it there as well.
Ground blinds are a great tool. They allow you to hunt in areas that are not suitable for treestands. You can be mobile, comfortable and safe. Not too concerned about falling asleep and falling out of my chair!:D But, like any tool, one tool does not work for all scenarios. Ground blinds lack the visibility that you have in the treestand. Overall, I prefer ground blind hunting. Glad to see others having success with that as well.

Top Bottom