Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ground prep

bjkpharmd

How are you and what tools are you using to prep food plots? Are most people on this site using ATVs, hiring it done, own a tractor, or what? I just listed my tractor in the classifieds because I want something bigger but maybe I should be thinking smaller? If you use an ATV and had the choice would you rather have a tractor?

after seeing your ground pharmer i'd stick with the tractor. you have more open ground than timber and i think a 4 wheeler tends to be used in smaller, timber setting type food plots. you have the ability to plant larger food plots and the tractor will save you time and money since you wouldn't have to then buy a 4 wheeler. of course, perhaps you could keep the tractor, buy a wheeler, and then report back to us on what is best in your opinion??
smile.gif

it's all about the toys...right??
wink.gif

I've got both and use both. If I can ever afford it I'd like a light 4 wheel drive tractor. Gets a little muddy in SE Iowa and it would come in handy once in a while.
grin.gif

Old Buck has the right idea. Four wheelers are extremely handy and versatile. Smaller utility tractors are a little more friendly when discing or planting. If you have the money to buy both, I would recommend it. If your land is open and easy to access, I would stick with the tractor. JMO

Good Luck,

BT

I am going to try a polaris ranger 4wd next month to do some light discing and plant some turnips and winter oats. It is equivalent to a 500cc wheeler with a 1500# payload. Hopefully it does the trick.

Been using tractor, just feel like it is a little too small when I am using moldboard plow in the old CRP grass and sod. Nice size for everything else but I have enough big open spaces that another 20-30 hp wouldn't hurt anything. Be able to do everything in less time by running bigger implements so I listed the current one for sale. Even with the stuff I wanted to do- was thinking that an ATV may make almost as much sense and then just hire the big stuff done. I know that the ATVs will never do as "good" but is that really important when I'm looking to put in some food and not worried about yielding 200 bushel corn.

We've got a 4wd, 67hsp tractor with a loader for our farm. Between the mowing firebreaks, planting foodplots, logging, moving whatever, and etc., I feel it's a perfect size for our recreational landowner needs. You can put a small foodplot in with a tractor but it's difficult to put a large food plot in with a 4-wheeler.

Paying someone to put your plots in also assumes you can find someone that can plant when you want them to. Most farmers would probably consider your food plots a low priority over their own fields and might not get around to planting your plots in a timely manner, and sometimes timing is pretty important.

I'd stick with a tractor Pharmer and use a 4-wheeler for hauling out the big bucks and lots of does.

Top Bottom