Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Group Hunting

risto2351

Thought I had most of the regs down but have a question.

When group hunting if a person has a antlerless tag is that the only sex they can shoot or can they shoot a buck as long as someone in the group has a any sex license? I looked in the regs and can not find a definitive answer.

Thank guys.

You may shoot a buck as long as there is a buck tag in the group. Assuming that hunter will let you use his or her tag. As I have heard on here and other places, many nonresidents will use this to their advantage by buying a doe tag and hunting with other resident "hunters" who have buck tags. I say "hunters" because a lot of the time they are only buying the tag for the person with the doe tag. But it is a legal way to be able to shoot a buck with no buck tag.

You may shoot a buck as long as there is a buck tag in the group. Assuming that hunter will let you use his or her tag. As I have heard on here and other places, many nonresidents will use this to their advantage by buying a doe tag and hunting with other resident "hunters" who have buck tags. I say "hunters" because a lot of the time they are only buying the tag for the person with the doe tag. But it is a legal way to be able to shoot a buck with no buck tag.

So, can a person tag the deer with the other person tag (that's if you have permission to use their tag) or does the other person have to tag the deer if the tag is in their name?

So, can a person tag the deer with the other person tag (that's if you have permission to use their tag) or does the other person have to tag the deer if the tag is in their name?

HUH????

Your tag has your name on it when it is printed. You can legally tag another persons deer with your tag if you so wish, but than you are giving up your tag.

To add to it....Technically, whoever's tag is being put on the deer has to be the one tagging it, meaning that it is illegal to carry someone else's tag. If I was to tag a deer I shot with someone else's tag, and the DNR stopped to check, and the tag owner is on the other side of the field, timber, etc., that won't turn out to well for you.

I also have a similar question...If I shoot a deer and my buddy "Johnny" tags it for me, does "Johnny" technically have to be in the vehicle while transporting the deer? Also, how does it work if you send it to the taxidermist with another hunter's tag?

To add to it....Technically, whoever's tag is being put on the deer has to be the one tagging it, meaning that it is illegal to carry someone else's tag. If I was to tag a deer I shot with someone else's tag, and the DNR stopped to check, and the tag owner is on the other side of the field, timber, etc., that won't turn out to well for you.

I also have a similar question...If I shoot a deer and my buddy "Johnny" tags it for me, does "Johnny" technically have to be in the vehicle while transporting the deer? Also, how does it work if you send it to the taxidermist with another hunter's tag?
"Yes" that is the way I understand it. It is illegal to transport a deer with some one else's name on it.

How can it be illegal to transport it as long as its legally tagged? That seems odd to me...Granted, I get the point of it could have been you who tagged it then moved it..but a lot of times, we shoot deer, throw them in a truck, and the guys walk back to their own trucks since they dont have cases...well then the deer is in my truck for example, and they are hiking back to theirs...even though they tagged it..seems like a gray area to me?? any inputs

One other thing to remember is where to tag it. On an antlerless deer it must be on a leg and be unable to be removed with out damaging the tag, and on a buck it must be on an antler between points also so that it can't be removed.

fatboy said:
"Yes" that is the way I understand it. It is illegal to transport a deer with some one else's name on it.

This is new to me. I reread the reg book and couldn't find it. Can someone point us in the right direction? Don't want to get in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

This seems wrong, how would party hunting work. You would not be able to take a deer home for venison then, or I for example shot a buck and had a party hunter tag it, he would have to ride with me to MN to make it legal??

Anyone have an answer on this?

my uncle comes every shotgun season gets a doe tag hunts with us kills a buck then takes my tag and tags him all legal then takes it back to wis we have talked to the dnr and it is all legal thats party hunting you DO NOT have to be with the deer to transport if there is any qustion about it the dnr would call you and check to make sure you gave the tag to the person and done in a legal way

once the deer is tagged legally, anyone can transport it to the locker/taxi.

its not illegal to transport it if its tagged but it would be a good idea to have the guy with you to match the name on the tag or you might be on the side of the road for a while

Just need the person who's name is on the tag to write a note saying it
is alright for you to have the deer. Your name needs to be on the note
and the person who's name is on the tag needs to sign it and date it.

Top Bottom