Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Growing something under an exclusion fence?

hillrunner

PMA Member
Thinking towards next spring here. Has anyone tried getting something growing under their electric fence instead of regular spraying/killing everything? I probably sprayed under my fence 4 or 5 times last year with a hand sprayer and 24d/roundup before finally seeding it to brassicas around the 1st of August. My main enemies were foxtail and button weeds. I'd rather not put that much chemical on if I can avoid it. I'm wondering about planting something that will remain short enough to not short out the fence but will hold back the competition. Maybe a lawn type grass? I'd also considered a strip of white clover and maybe mow under the fence with a weed wacker one time during the summer? Any other ideas or experiences?

Can you elaborate on what your plan is here?
My inner and outer fences are 3' apart. I'm going to roll out a 4' wide commercial weed barrier under the fences. Wont have spray anymore.

Screenshot_20211128-122125_Chrome.jpg

I tried the 4' weed barrier idea last year, didn't work as well as i expected, mostly as it was hard to keep in place due to wind, and the weeds grew over it and laid down onto it. Then this year it was all loose and wrapped up i ended up pulling it . Hope you have better luck than i did.

I would try to get it on bare birt. The felt on the one side sticks to dirt really well. I would also say if u got a 3 ft fence go with 5ft so u got plenty of protection

I don't know with the uv light but I have redone landscaping before 20years afterwards and u can pull it as hard as you want. It's good stuff

I tried the 4' weed barrier idea last year, didn't work as well as i expected, mostly as it was hard to keep in place due to wind, and the weeds grew over it and laid down onto it. Then this year it was all loose and wrapped up i ended up pulling it . Hope you have better luck than i did.
That shouldn't be an issue with landscape staples.

I use to have a large garden with this over the whole thing. Never weeded once. It was great.

I did use the Staples, maybe not enough of them? Also had t posts laying on the fabric to keep it down. I dunno, like someone mentioned, maybe i didn't get the underbrush killed enough and it lifted it enough to let the wind catch it. Dunno, for my trial, just wasn't great, i know that

Top Bottom