Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Guiding - taking others

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I am just curious, how many people on this site would be willing to take other people hunting for money? Let's just say a guy offered you $200 a day to take him out for a weekend, would you do it? Would you be willing to bring people on to your own property? Why or why not?

For me it depends. If it were a random guy, no. For many reasons with the first being trust. What if he decides to hunt my place when I'm at work or gone. I have taken friends out with no money involved and I also took a buddy out to a few places and our farm to try to get him his first whitetail. He was from Colorado and was moving back after a few years. He said he'd take me elk and mule deer hunting.
I guess I'm not in it for the money and don't have enough acres to hunt to Gurantee anyone a shot at a shooter so I wouldn't feel right.

Probably not for the same reasons as bigbuckhunter. I've gladly taken out friends for free onto my hunting property. It depends on the situation. Who is the person? How did the arrangement come about? The biggest issue is trust.

I take a large amount of people hunting all the time. Never for money or any gain- but it has always been family or friends. Not sure I would take money to let someone hunt- I would probably be more open to a "trade". Say someone out west or north wanted to hunt my stands in exchange for a bear hunt- elk- Muley- out of their stands- I would consider that more

No. I hunt and take family and friends for my enjoyment. If I took someone for money it would have to be for enough that it made a real impact on the amount I spent/invested every year. With owning my own property and all that goes with it, they would have to pay more like $2,000 a day to even get me to consider it. Of course at that price they should go with a guide.

Nope. I've always hunted with people I wanted to not because I had to for the money. Have taken friends also on my property. You would have to have more money here in IL as you would be getting a outfitter license and insurance.

There area lot of things in life that I do because it's fun & I enjoy it. Taking others hunting is certainly one of those things. If someone doesn't like the way I do things they don't have to play, they got no stake in the game. As soon as money enters the equation it becomes a "job" & no longer fun!

I guess I guide people on hog hunts.

They show up with beer, give it to me then tell me to take them hunting.

Haven't heard enough good reasons not to. If you have enough property, time and experience by all means give it a try. Anyone who's ever attempted to harvest wild game knows there's a good chance you could go home empty handed. Do it!

$200 a day wouldn't do it but I about guarantee you there is a $$ / day number that most would jump on it.

$200 a day wouldn't do it but I about guarantee you there is a $$ / day number that most would jump on it.

Yessir, I just threw out $200 a day as a random number. I was thinking more along the lines of people who would charge a daily fee for the weekend warriors versus the guys who would pay $3000 for a 5 day hunt.

If I had unlimited land, I would think about it. But when I have my own select farms, and big deer I want to chase, no money could do it for me. Well, maybe a large amount :)

No way no how would I personally take $ to hunt. Free to friends and some folks that help me at my farms if we still have deer to shoot. No way do I ever want to "owe someone" who paid me. Would kill my goals, outcomes & management on my farms for a host of reasons. That's just me- no way! Free to the right people.

No way no how would I personally take $ to hunt. Free to friends and some folks that help me at my farms if we still have deer to shoot. No way do I ever want to "owe someone" who paid me. Would kill my goals, outcomes & management on my farms for a host of reasons. That's just me- no way! Free to the right people.

X2, I swapped a hunt with two guys in Texas who have a huge ranch. I'm going back in March, both of them came to my farms and one missed a 175" deer and the other missed at 145" 8pt twice. They told me they had a blast and missed a lot of their hunt because they had to leave early because the one guys wife went into labor and had the baby without him. I would do that over guiding people, swapping hunts is more fun. Hopefully I'll get an elk or something else crazy!

Top Bottom