Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gun theft

teeroy

Life Member
just a word of advise. i had my house broken into last thursday. all that was taken was guns (not that i really have anything else of value). get your serial numbers logged, and into your insurance. my basic homeowners policy only covers less than half what i lost. and i only had serial numbers for about half the guns.

Do you have a list of what was stolen and area so we can be on the lookout for them on Sale Sites? Sorry man

Sorry to hear buddy. Happened to me a few years back but they only got 1 that was not in the safe. I videoed and took pics of all my weapons since.

Get that list out to the law enforcement and local gun shops so they can be on the lookout

Kratz

We have had a lot of this in southeast Iowa (Oskaloosa is what I see)... mostly druggies looking to take guns to trade on drugs.. really sad..

Sorry for your loss. I have found that if there are any pawn shops fairly close to your location, that a look in them, might be where the thieves dumped the guns for cash. I have recovered items stolen from my shop in at least 3 different pawn shops that were less than 40 miles from my shop. Do not confront the shop owner, have a copy of the police report with you and go to the local law enforcement office and tell them what you found and where. Then let them do their job. I have had to do this three different times and was able to get most of the recovered items back after a time.

Two weekends ago, I got a call from the county sheriff's office where I lived when guns were stolen back in 1982. They asked if I had recovered my guns. I commented, "Isn't that your job?". Like how am I going to find them this many years out? They call every year. I had serial numbers for them, insurance barely covered half the value. :mad:

JNRBRONC --

I understand your frustration in the call from your county SO, but the state mandates we attempt to make contact with the owner in case something did indeed turn up. Missing/stolen items are entered into the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) where a serial number or VIN that is ran through the system will create a "hit" (or locate) to the originating agency who entered the item.

Now you ask, why they call? Because Joe Blow who had his truck broken into and rifle and pistol stolen out of it, reported the guns stolen, entered into the system and waited, much like you. However, Joe Blow didn't listen when the officer told Joe Blow to call if they turned up somehow. 5 days later, Joe Blows brother in law turns up with those guns and says man I told you I was gunna borrow those. Joe blow now has his guns back, but didn't think to call law enforcement and say I have my guns back and it was a misunderstanding. Instead thinks Joe Blow and/or brother in law is going to get in trouble for reporting them stolen.

This happens more often than not with vehicles as well. Sir/Ma'am, is your truck still missing that was stolen from you last May. "You know what, I forgot to tell you guys, my son had taken it to get worked on at the farm" or "I forgot I had told my daughter she could take the car to college for her friends graduation." You think how in the hell does one not just call and clear it up? Trust me... more often than not.

But guns require a yearly check. DSMPD recovered a shotgun reported stolen to our department in 1985 about a month ago. Trust in the system, something may turn up, but not always. Apologize for the calls tho... it's just the job..

Top Bottom