Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Having trouble killing grass in clover

I'm using 12-14 ounces of Clethodim and 32 ounces of crop oil in 25 gallons of water. I use the entire tank on approx 1 acre. I'm killing some of the grass but other grass continues to grow. Do I need to use more Clethodim, or do something different?
I did mow everything down to 6 inches or so and let the grass start up again before I sprayed.

Terry

How long has it been since you sprayed? Are you sure they are grasses and not sedges?

It can take 2-3 weeks for tough grasses to die but if there is fescue involved it might require a second does.;)

I looked up sedges and that could be it. I'll head out there today to try to identify.
Thank you for the info!

Last edited:
ArcheryHunter- read the Clethodim label, I am 99% sure you should be spraying it when the grasses are FULL GROWN and you are NOT supposed to mow them and wait for regrowth like you would round-up. Having longer grasses makes sure there is more surface to absorb the Clethodim.
I also had the same trouble as you when killing grass before though, I went through and saturated every blade of grass (just slow down) and it worked. Your rate sure is fine. It's gotta either be 1) Sedges instead of grass 2) the fact that you mowed OR 3) you didn't saturate it.

Sedges it is

It appears my problem is Yellow Nutsedge (based on picture).
Sligh1, I Read through the clethodim label and there are recommended grass heights at which to spray. Mine was over knee high and pretty thick which makes it kind of tough to saturate with my atv sprayer.
Now that it's been determined I have sedge, what's the best course of action?

Raptor is my go to product for nutsedge but needs to be sprayed before the sedge gets 3-4" tall. A mower my be the only option at this stage.

Get your son Kellon out there and make him start pulling weeds....He'll be good at that! I think that's your best possible approach at this point! :D

Tell him Chris sent the advice :drink1::way:

Sedge and Carp

I've enlisted Kellon to plant soy beans in a week or so. Don't want to tire him by pulling sedge.
I keep hearing about the carp but never get an invite. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

FWIW, I had really good results with Select

I've enlisted Kellon to plant soy beans in a week or so. Don't want to tire him by pulling sedge.
I keep hearing about the carp but never get an invite. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

recently. I did use a crop oil and was very pleased when I inspected my clover fields over the past few days. 99% of what I was killing was brome though. I was able to look over the fields about 2 weeks after I sprayed them and it looked like the Select worked like a charm.

Top Bottom