Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Headed to Leech, any advice?

DannyBoy

I'll be fishing Leech Lake this following weekend. Headed up with a friend who's g-pa lives on a smaller lake just a short drive away to the south. We'll be in a smaller boat with no electronics and probably will be fishing the southern part of the lake close to shore. We don't think the boat can really handle big chop. I may try to bring my depth finder, which would help. And being as we have a smaller boat, that eliminates alot of the lake for us. Any advice on locations or tactics would be helpful.

Thanks,
Danny

Dont list to $ he's craving a Whopper or 3 and doesnt know what he saying... Hunger affects his mind for the worse Im afraid.

I talked to a guy from Hackensack (next town south of Leech) he said the walleyes have been steady on Tenmile, nothing tremendous but its nothing to catch a few eaters everytime. If your fishing eyes you gotta have a depth finder though IMO.

Pan fish from what Ive seen in the last few weeks are in 10-15ft and suspended sometimes; I found a rock pile last week that had crappies stacked on it in 23ft but I could only get one to bite.

(If you are looking for big gators or skis you could run up to federal dam and launch at the dam and go out and fish portage bay in the NE corner of the lake. I have been out there in a 16ft with a 20hp on it with no issues.)

Good luck.

bowhuntr,

We are actually staying in Hackensack. We will probably have our sights set on eyes and smallies, but nothing is out of the question. I actually found a brand new depth finder in the package in our barn this afternoon, so it looks like we'll have electronics!

A lot of times if we're new to a lake we'll troll several different cranks that dive to some different depths. A lot of times we'll figure some stuff out this way. Depth, rockpiles, etc. Usually if we hook up to something we like we'll run back over that spot and if it continues producing we'll toss out a marker and approach it a few different ways until we've fished it out. But hopefully the depth finder works!

fish Muskies.....
only.....

:D

Well, unless you're gonna send me up there with a bunch of your high-dollar ski gear it looks like I'll have to settle for targeting their favorite food source(s). Someday...

Danny which lake are you staying on? I pretty much know them all in this area and I could probably help you out. If you want to spend some time on Leech I can point you in the right direction... the walleye fishing has been good on Leech. PM me with contact info and I can try to get you more info.

pulling crawlers on a spinner harness works very good up there. Also try lindy rigging redtail chubs if you can find any. very effective on large walleyes on leech. good luck

You meant what I knew.........

[sigh]
This Mr. Mom stuff is making me stupid...

for some reason i was thinking I was talking to bushman.... sorry DEAN, but you made the fat joke, you deserved it!
:D
;)

Top Bottom