Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Headless Buck!!!!!!!!!!

blakesburg

PMA Member
A friend of mine was out Saterday evening on some private ground near where I hunt which boarders public ground (Stephens State Forest). He stuck a 'pretty good' ten but felt like the shot was a little far back so he gave him a few hours and went back with his wife. They trailed the blood for awhile and decided to go back the next day. He had plans that next morning so he was not able to get out and look until shortly after 12 noon. Found the blood trail which lead to his deer only the head was gone. It was by a pond on the line between private and public so I would assume someone stumbled on it and figured why leave it. Needless to say he is sick about it. Talked to everyone that he knows that hunts the area with no leads. Hoped perhaps someone heard or knows anything. Stephens in NW Davis County.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich for posting on here. I am the person he is referring to. I don't post much, but had debated about putting the story on here on the longshot hopes that someone on here might have found or knew someone that found the dead buck and thought they had found diseased or lost buck. Definitely one case where when in doubt back out didn't pay off though, lol.

PM me some info on the area you were at and i will do some asking around for you. I know a lot of people that live around the forest.

Hope that you are able to locate the buck. I could see someone taking the head thinking it had die of natural causes (I hope that would be their reasoning).

Hope that you are able to locate the buck. I could see someone taking the head thinking it had die of natural causes (I hope that would be their reasoning).

This completely sucks. How could someone think that it died of natural causes?? Shot the day before...with a wound from an arrow...probably some blood on the ground where he ended up laying down. Only an idiot would think it died of natural causes. This clown wanted the rack...end of story. Sorry man...some bad luck there.

Last edited:
Major bummer right there. Hopefully the idiot brags about it enough that word gets around and it opens some leads for you. Best of luck in the meantime.

For interest sake, did he salvage the meat or is/was your friend only interested in the horns? Guess it wouldn't make much difference other than how much I would sympathize with him. I'm getting really tired of hearing all the effort to retrieve horns with little or no interest in the rest of the animal. Not that this is the case here, but way too often recovering the "trophy" seems to be more important than recovering the edible portion of the trophy. I just hope we haven't been watching too much TV and lost track of what deer hunting is all about. That is just playing into the hands of the "antis" and does not present deer hunting in a good light at all.

^^ good point he shot it and found it headless or not he should tag the deer. even though it's sad to hear the rack was gone.

Top Bottom