Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2044 16 year olds accompanying adults hunting and trapping

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would not require 16 year olds who accompany licensed adults that are hunting to have a hunting license provided they do not hunt/carry a weapon.

Link: <HF 2044>

The bill adds "hunting" to the current law that allows 16 year olds to accompany adults while trapping.

This bill would not require 16 year olds who accompany licensed adults that are hunting to have a hunting license provided they do not hunt/carry a weapon.

Link: <HF 2044>

The bill adds "hunting" to the current law that allows 16 year olds to accompany adults while trapping.
Wait, is it currently illegal to tag along with someone else who is hunting, when you are not, if you don't have a license?

Wait, is it currently illegal to tag along with someone else who is hunting, when you are not, if you don't have a license?

A couple we know got chastised by a CO while family pheasant hunting and only Dad was licensed. CO said the other 3 family members were “assisting in the hunt” ie bird dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple we know got chastised by a CO while family pheasant hunting and only Dad was licensed. CO said the other 3 family members were “assisting in the hunt” ie bird dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had no idea that was a thing. So are all the camera guys for these YouTube deer hunters required to be licensed?

I had no idea that was a thing. So are all the camera guys for these YouTube deer hunters required to be licensed?
I think it is very situational and also at the discretion of the CO. Is the camera man "assisting" in the hunt by sitting in the blind or a second tree stand? Now if he is a part of a deer drive......

Those camera guys are another set of eyes and a lot of times you see them give the hunter a heads up when something is coming . . . . Not that I want the camera guys to get in trouble, but . . .

Those camera guys are another set of eyes and a lot of times you see them give the hunter a heads up when something is coming . . . . Not that I want the camera guys to get in trouble, but . . .
Hadn't thought about that aspect of the camera man, but do agree I've seen them in videos tip off the "shooter" on an incoming deer. What if they have a tag but it has been filled? Such hair splitting.

Hadn't thought about that aspect of the camera man, but do agree I've seen them in videos tip off the "shooter" on an incoming deer. What if they have a tag but it has been filled? Such hair splitting.
My understanding, FWIW, is that anyone without a license can accompany a licensed hunter while hunting, but CANNOT assist in the hunt in any way. But this is one of those scenarios that I suspect is interpreted differently by different CO's. (Don't get me started on that topic. :) )

A prime example is two guys turkey hunting...one licensed, one not. Everything is cool until the unlicensed guy "participates in the hunt", which could include calling, spotting the game, advising the licensed hunter, etc. Two licensed hunters, even if one has filled his tag for that season, have a lot of freedom and the "tag filled" non-hunter, can assist in the hunt.

Technically, very technically, an unlicensed cameraman is stepping over the imaginary line a bit when he calls attention to approaching game for the licensed hunter...but I have yet to hear about that being pursued anywhere as a problem. Keep in mind, that it is common for the cameraman to also have a valid license for the season that is in, not always though, but pretty common. At which point, they can freely participate in the hunt, even if their tag is filled, as long as they are in the right season still.

Now then, pushing deer, rousting pheasants, calling turkeys, etc...that is well past the line and would likely draw a fine/warning. Again, this is probably one of those areas that you could get different answers on depending on who, and when, you talk to. But I went into this extensively back in the day with a CO because I often "guided" various friends and family members while spring turkey hunting...sometimes when I I had an active tag, or filled tag, but still in that season and sometimes just because some rookie hunter didn't know how to hunt them and/or have access to areas with turkeys and while I didn't have a tag for that season, I loved going out spring turkey hunting.

Last edited:
You are good Daver. I helped a new hunter in season 1, but had to make sure I bought my 4th season tag as I was not sure if I was hunting season 2 or 3. Once I had a valid tag, I was good to help the new hunter.

From the regs:
HELPING OTHER HUNTERS A resident hunter with a valid spring turkey hunting license for any season may assist other hunters in any season. A nonresident may assist other hunters only in the zone and season indicated on his or her license. The hunter doing the assisting may not carry a shotgun or bow or shoot a turkey unless he or she has a valid license and an unfilled transportation tag for that zone and season.

You are good Daver. I helped a new hunter in season 1, but had to make sure I bought my 4th season tag as I was not sure if I was hunting season 2 or 3. Once I had a valid tag, I was good to help the new hunter.

From the regs:
HELPING OTHER HUNTERS A resident hunter with a valid spring turkey hunting license for any season may assist other hunters in any season. A nonresident may assist other hunters only in the zone and season indicated on his or her license. The hunter doing the assisting may not carry a shotgun or bow or shoot a turkey unless he or she has a valid license and an unfilled transportation tag for that zone and season.
Aaaahhh...that is just a bit different than what I was recalling. Either I misremembered or things have changed. Thanks for the clarification.

Nowadays...I barely hunt for turkeys, as there are so few in my area these days. Harrumph.

Top Bottom