Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2057, taking of nuisance animals

My DNR officer told me that the bill didn't pass. I asked about getting a permit to take out coons for turkeys. He said no. Said nature will take its course (I assume diseases that kill them when the pop gets too high). He kind of said the same on yotes and that when you take some out, they fill back in just as fast. Just told me that my tsi and habitat work was one of the best ways to help the turkey pop out. So, that is what I'm going to keep doing.

My DNR officer told me that the bill didn't pass. I asked about getting a permit to take out coons for turkeys. He said no. Said nature will take its course (I assume diseases that kill them when the pop gets too high). He kind of said the same on yotes and that when you take some out, they fill back in just as fast. Just told me that my tsi and habitat work was one of the best ways to help the turkey pop out. So, that is what I'm going to keep doing.
Wow. Yes- it’s disease. Mange for coyotes & distemper for coons. Horrible way for both to go. As much as I hate both- hate to see them die that way. Boom & bust on populations when nature deals with it is far from ideal. Best option is high fur prices so folks trap. That’s not happening. SD has it right with the bounties. They see the outcome. They have to pay the bounty where at least here u have some wanting to start by doing it for free. They are way way way out of control & I’d simply agree to disagree with DNR on nature taking its course.
I got permit to kill coons as it was maybe 60 seconds of showing the crop & tree damage they did. (Clearly wasn’t deer).
*a guy has to wonder what the public or deer hating insurance companies would say to “let nature take its course” if we cut off antlerless tags or depredation tags.

The lack of turkeys, pheasants, etc may get more folks wanting to trap. Good anecdotal or representative video…. Link showing nesting turkey & what destroys nests of turkeys…

This was buddies field before he got ok to kill coons. Had to replant 3rd time on 80 acre field (notice how old corn is outside new planting furrows). It was all dug up across whole field. He was into like triple digits on one field (if I recall- like 300-400 coons) on an 80 acre corn field after he quit killing & had a good stand. He didn’t wait for disease. Repeat this across most the state with little to no trapping - turkeys & pheasants have a tough chance regardless of habitat with predator #’s the way they are.
B5FB1E7E-AB58-4EE9-BCAE-5D2E20C4239E.jpeg

Wow. Yes- it’s disease. Mange for coyotes & distemper for coons. Horrible way for both to go. As much as I hate both- hate to see them die that way. Boom & bust on populations when nature deals with it is far from ideal. Best option is high fur prices so folks trap. That’s not happening. SD has it right with the bounties. They see the outcome. They have to pay the bounty where at least here u have some wanting to start by doing it for free. They are way way way out of control & I’d simply agree to disagree with DNR on nature taking its course.
I got permit to kill coons as it was maybe 60 seconds of showing the crop & tree damage they did. (Clearly wasn’t deer).
*a guy has to wonder what the public or deer hating insurance companies would say to “let nature take its course” if we cut off antlerless tags or depredation tags.

The lack of turkeys, pheasants, etc may get more folks wanting to trap. Good anecdotal or representative video…. Link showing nesting turkey & what destroys nests of turkeys…

This was buddies field before he got ok to kill coons. Had to replant 3rd time on 80 acre field (notice how old corn is outside new planting furrows). It was all dug up across whole field. He was into like triple digits on one field (if I recall- like 300-400 coons) on an 80 acre corn field after he quit killing & had a good stand. He didn’t wait for disease. Repeat this across most the state with little to no trapping - turkeys & pheasants have a tough chance regardless of habitat with predator #’s the way they are.
View attachment 122701
I agree Skip. I would think anyone experiencing damage like that which has a financial impact would probably give an officer more reason to give a permit. I don't have any "damage" but wanted to make a difference to turkeys, so it may not have held enough water to convince him. At least that is my guess in the difference. I was willing though.

Top Bottom