Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 210 Straight wall rifle

Do you support HF 210 rifles using straight wall ammunition?

• Yes

• No

• Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishbonker

Life Member
HF 210 would allow the use of rifles shooting straight wall cartridges in any of the already approved gun seasons. Some language on requirements/restrictions/ballistics related to hand gun cartridges. Long list of sponsors.

Can't copy and paste link at work will do when I get home.

I dont think we've had a year where they aren't trying to mess with deer regulations - so no surprise. This will never end but again- QUIT MESSING WITH OUR FRAGILE DEER HUNTING REGULATIONS!!! Small or large- this garbage needs to go!!! Leave the Regs alone!!!!!!!! Stop, done, no more seasons, weapons, etc. it's a slippery slope and RIGHT NOW we have 5 deer seasons, 4-5 weapon choices & 4 months of hunting. STOP!!!!

This is getting ridiculous. This bill should be written to do the exact opposite. There are already people out there using 50 cal bay wolf on AR platforms with a pistol grips. Not exactly what i want to be in the woods with.

I dont think we've had a year where they aren't trying to mess with deer regulations - so no surprise. This will never end but again- QUIT MESSING WITH OUR FRAGILE DEER HUNTING REGULATIONS!!! Small or large- this garbage needs to go!!! Leave the Regs alone!!!!!!!! Stop, done, no more seasons, weapons, etc. it's a slippery slope and RIGHT NOW we have 5 deer seasons, 4-5 weapon choices & 4 months of hunting. STOP!!!!
Couldnt agree more, I feel like trophy deer in my neck of the woods are harder and harder to find, every tom dick and harry has a muzzleloader and a landowner tag and chases deer around from First shot gun through the end of late muzzy.

I have a lever action 44 Mag I'd like to use during shotgun. I doubt it is more accurate nor has more range than a Savage 220 or my Savage ML10II. It wouldn't add to the number of deer tags I would get or create another season for me. Thus, not sure I'm against it being a legal option during shotgun season. I could go either way on this one.

I have a lever action 44 Mag I'd like to use during shotgun. I doubt it is more accurate nor has more range than a Savage 220 or my Savage ML10II. It wouldn't add to the number of deer tags I would get or create another season for me. Thus, not sure I'm against it being a legal option during shotgun season. I could go either way on this one.

How about a .50 Beowulf in an AR-15 platform with a 20 round magazine?
Shoots a 300 grain slug at over 200 feet per second with a ballistic profile better than a 45-70
Do we really want to make a gun like that legal for shotgun seasons in Iowa?

There are already people building a gun like this as a handgun in an AR platform and using it during shotgun and late muzzleloader - perfectly legal and amazingly powerful with quick semi-automatic follow up shots.
I really think we need to revise and toughen up some of these rules before someone gets killed - not make it worse.

We either leave these regulations alone, PERIOD or we just keep going down these roads yearly.
I'd like to propose a bill to simply speed up the process of all this stuff. 4 months, 5 seasons and 4-5 weapon types is NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!!! There's so much ground as well that doesn't even get hunted in the state, competition for hunting land is so light you basically can hunt anywhere. We sure can't say "no" to any emotional words like "opportunity", "bringing more hunters into the sport", "who are you to tell me how & what I should hunt with", "other states allow hunting for velvet horned bucks, why shouldn't we?", etc, etc.

My proposal..... Semi-Automatic Rifle season, it starts July 1. It runs through March 20th. There's a 1 day break for Christmas where only bolt action rifles can be used. During these seasons, any other weapon can be used, bow, spear, crossbow, snares, trip wire (with tannerite configured explosives), poison darts, lawn Jarts, pits with spears or tigers in the bottom, Mustard Gas & there will be a commitee that will "OK" any other weapon type. We need more opportunities! We need guys to finally hunt the millions of acres no one bothers hunting. We need to bring Iowa's deer herd of 50 million under control.

We either STOP MESSING WITH REGULATIONS or let's just OPEN ER WIDE UP!!!!! Go big or go home!!! If you're not for any of my proposals, you're not for people having opportunities! You're also Racist, sexist and likely a Homophobic Antisemitic Biggot.

Sligh I can't wait to hear that speech at the ICN meetings. I'll be the guy in the Peace sign shirt wearing my Hillary Clinton hat clapping

Last edited:
Sometimes it falls a little bit at a time and if you are not paying attention, it can be beyond repair before you know it.

"Death by a thousand cuts"- ever hear of that? Iowa could be 1 or 2 regulation changes away from DRASTIC change & impact to all. examples....
- move the gun season 2 weeks earlier. Iowa as it is- toast.
- crossbows during bow season - "40% more hunters afield" according the positive point of data from crossbow lobbyists. 5% timber and accces & mature bucks are rare enough NOW- imagine 40% more folks in bow season with crossbows.
-open the floodgates with tags..... look what happened to IL in a decade!!! If u don't know- this discussion & regulation changes will go right over your head. Look at dozens of examples other states have done to ruin their deer hunting. Look around at how many are fleeing their state to hunt here (one of my farms I have 4 different out of state land owners... Wisconsin, MN, PA & IL. Why do they come here????
-Iowa has a tiny deer herd vs other midwestern states. It has 5% forest. It's FRAGILE!!!!! Anything can have big ripples, yes, even small changes like this. It's a slippery slope. Need to hold firm and stop the Liberalization of our hunting season & regs!!!!!!! STOP!!!! No more!!! Heck- id rather have the season shortened and go to a one buck rule VS the continued exploitation of our resource to special interests!!!!!!

I heard today that this was approved by the subcommittee it was assigned to and will be moved to the full committee. I also heard it was changed to youth and shotgun only not late ML. I can find the meeting date and time (today at 1130) on the legislature web site but no minutes to confirm the information.

This may be a dumb question...but can people use A/K style shotguns with extended or drum magazines right now? If so this doesn't really seem that different as long as it isn't for the ML seasons.

This may be a dumb question...but can people use A/K style shotguns with extended or drum magazines right now? If so this doesn't really seem that different as long as it isn't for the ML seasons.
I don't know about the AK style shotgun but tube extensions and drums are legal. Only reason I know that is because I have one on my brush gun for snow goose hunting and have been checked regularly. However, my gun is accurate out to 75 yards only and is definitely not as deadly as some of these rifles

I don't know about the AK style shotgun but tube extensions and drums are legal. Only reason I know that is because I have one on my brush gun for snow goose hunting and have been checked regularly. However, my gun is accurate out to 75 yards only and is definitely not as deadly as some of these rifles

Good to know. You may only be accurate to 75 yards but the I'm sure the gun is deadly far beyond that. Not at all saying you would spray 20 slugs at a group of deer :) but I'm sure people do.

I think guys are being a little quick to judge here because of the word 'rifle'. I have shot my friend's 16" barreled beowulf...and that thing is no 'rifle'. It's a glorified tacticool shotgun with an 'effective' range of 125 yards. Anyone that thinks otherwise has no first hand experience with one. After 125 yards accuracy drops off a cliff. He also has 40 round AR mags and is lucky to get 12 rounds of beowulf in them. 11 is the magic number if you want it to cycle properly. I also know a guy that has an 11-87 with rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. He has a mag extension so his gun holds 8 + 1 in the chamber. With his 1-4 leupold scope he is accurate out to 125 with it all day.

So assuming a/k style shotguns are ok (and I don't see anywhere in the regs that say they arent) what would you rather have in the woods?

Rem 11-87 rifled shotgun with 9 rounds shooting sabots and 125 yard range

Saiga/Vepr shotgun with 20 round mag and 75 yard range

.50 beowulf AR with 12 rounds (1 in chamber for mag cycling) and 125 yard range

I am failing to see a HUGE difference here.

What this legislation really needs is mag limits. Both for shotguns and straight walled rifles during deer season. Limit it at 5 just like they do out west.

What this legislation really needs is mag limits. Both for shotguns and straight walled rifles during deer season. Limit it at 5 just like they do out west.

Or single shot firearms. ;) After the third shot, I think most are just filling the air with lead, so maybe leave the duck plug in.

Safety and public hunting during shotgun season is an oxymoron. I quit that scene 30 years ago.

Top Bottom