Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 22 Black bear hunting

My guess would be so they can assign it a season, most likely continuous closed.
I know with mountain lions it's fair game year round cuz iowa doesn't recognize them as game animal. I'm assuming bears same way? So, yeah this would make it a no no to shoot em. ..... my assumption

Am I mistaken or isn't it already illegal to shoot a bear?
Yep, you are mistaken, and nope, not illegal. Like mountain lions, they are not listed as a game animal in Iowa with no specified season, which means they are fair game, 24/7. Again, this is my tag on the regs and I am only speculating that is what this bill is about. Once listed as a game animal, a season can be set, and that season will most likely be no season, same as we have for moose and elk.

• Deleted by CurtisWalker
Show…
Just doesn't seem like it is worth the effort. Are they thinking there will ever be a resident population in Iowa. I get that they caved to wolf loving political pressure, but they hunt 'em in MN and 'sconsin so I don't think there are that many bear lovers around. Is this just because it's such a big deal when a random one wanders down?

Just doesn't seem like it is worth the effort. Are they thinking there will ever be a resident population in Iowa. I get that they caved to wolf loving political pressure, but they hunt 'em in MN and 'sconsin so I don't think there are that many bear lovers around. Is this just because it's such a big deal when a random one wanders down?
Yup, one random one comes down to IA last year. People flock to see it like it. Someone hears it isn't protected and could be shot legally, they want it protected. They propose a law change. Just my guess at how this unfolded.

7% of Iowans hunt. A bear drifts into Iowa and, unprotected, it gets shot. Is this good PR for the hunting community?

I’ve seen news articles of a farmer shooting a moose in Iowa. Didn’t end well.

A guy in Iowa shot an albino buck that was splashed across the front pages of media, public outrage ensued, leading to regulations protecting piebald/albino deer. No biological basis for the ban, sheer public sentiment.

I feel that putting bears on the off limits list will prevent someone from tarnishing the Iowa sportsmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7% of Iowans hunt. A bear drifts into Iowa and, unprotected, it gets shot. Is this good PR for the hunting community?

I’ve seen news articles of a farmer shooting a moose in Iowa. Didn’t end well.

A guy in Iowa shot an albino buck that was splashed across the front pages of media, public outrage ensued, leading to regulations protecting piebald/albino deer. No biological basis for the ban, sheer public sentiment.

I feel that putting bears on the off limits list will prevent someone from tarnishing the Iowa sportsmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likely a very valid point.

Top Bottom