Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 23 Dog tracking clean up bill

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to the bill: HF 23

This bill strikes the requirement for dogs and dog handlers to be trained in deer blood tracking.

Referred to the Natural Resources Committee.

Exactly. And the legislator that introduced the language last year lost his election. DNR asked us to clean it up, and we hope this makes everyone’s lives easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed subcommittee meeting today.

A companion bill was introduced in the Senate today SF 311. Same bill as in the House.

Passed full committee today 18-1. The training part was struck from the bill and there was discussion about adding something about youth to the bill. The sound quality was pretty bad for the online meeting so I didn't pick it all up but I think this will allow youth deer hunters who wound a deer to accompany the tracker(s).

The goal is to make the law so DNR doesn’t need to “interpret” anything at all, and doesn’t need to adopt rules. Not sure if we will get there, but anything we can do to reduce their workload is a good thing.

A few missed meetings (covid) before session meant we missed a few requests, hence the amendments. If everything is there as expected it clarifies who can track, who can dispatch, license requirement, and gives DNR the option to adopt rules rather than requiring it.

We want anyone with a license to be able to assist any legal hunter. Youth season was just a great example of a potentially devastating oversight when the language is interpreted to mean you can only track your own deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed Senate yesterday.

Link to the final bill: HF 552

I'm not sure when this takes effect. The bill still needs to be signed by the Governor and there is a provision that the NRC "may" make rules pertaining to the bill. It looks pretty straight forward to me so I don't know that the NRC would want to change anything. But ya never know....

Anyone know how someone and their dog becomes "certified" in deer blood tracking? I got a pup in march that I'm training to be a shed dog and I'm considering getting him into tracking. I can't seem to find any information on it.

Top Bottom