Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2410 formerly HSB610 NRLO tags

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill had some action today, there was a fiscal statement filed. The statement made some "assumptions". The first line says they cannot foretell how many more NR tags will be sold, but a few lines later they take a stab at it and estimate this bill, if passed, will cause an increase of 2.6% or 160 more NR licenses/year. The statement does not indicate the calculations they used to arrive at this figure. The 160 more NR tags would put $102,000.00 in the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund.

Link to the report: <NRLO Tag fiscal report>

I started this thread to replace the HSB 610 thread. Link to original thread: <HSB 610 Thread>

I have no proof, but I feel 160 NRLOs who qualify number is pretty low. I think it is higher now, and even higher if the bill passes.

Honestly, I would guess it’s around 150-200? Just a guess . There can’t be that many. Ten years ago, there were some guys buying for the long haul, but many buy and sell with 5 years.

This bill had some action today, there was a fiscal statement filed. The statement made some "assumptions". The first line says they cannot foretell how many more NR tags will be sold, but a few lines later they take a stab at it and estimate this bill, if passed, will cause an increase of 2.6% or 160 more NR licenses/year. The statement does not indicate the calculations they used to arrive at this figure. The 160 more NR tags would put $102,000.00 in the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund.

Link to the report: <NRLO Tag fiscal report>

I started this thread to replace the HSB 610 thread. Link to original thread: <HSB 610 Thread>

I have no proof, but I feel 160 NRLOs who qualify number is pretty low. I think it is higher now, and even higher if the bill passes.
I think their numbers may be correct as of right now but definitely not long term.

How many NR would have bought 80 acres and just sat on it for the last 10 years? In that time, they could have bow hunted it 3 times at the most. I almost purchased 40 acres up there about 8 years ago but did not for this very reason. Of course, Bill Jordan’s son and people like him have a lot more $$$$ than me so maybe a lot of them were just sitting back and waiting.

As we have all seen in the past with all sorts of other legislation all of the "conditions" for an NRLO to qualify for yearly tags will become negotiable. This year it's 80. Next year, who knows? If this passes it won't be a 10 year wait, it will be a 0 year wait with 10 acres or even less.

In the many years I’ve been aware of this issue I’ve never known another NRLO bill to have been passed period, not to mention one passed w parameters lessened later. I’m not worried about it.

Very sorry that they are chipping away at y’all’s awesome deer hunting. As a NR, I honestly don’t want them to ruin what y’all have but I’d be a liar if I said I will not take advantage of any extra opportunities that are presented minus the 80 acres and 10 year wait.

I’d be more inclined to move there in retirement and live there about 7-8 months a year then head back south for the winter. Y’all’s winters are not something I care to be a part of. I remember the snow and cold from back in my military days.

So lets say that the bill passes ( very doubtful that it will) ....will there be a land rush from non residents to buy an 80 at $4,000. -$5,000 per acre
( $320,000.-$400,000. ) and sit on it for 10 years before they can have 1 tag?....I kinda doubt it....Buy Kansas, Missouri, Ohio.....not as good as Iowa ,but, good enough for most..... AND....let's say, instead of 160 projected new NR landowner tags there are really 500.....of those let's say 40 percent fill those tags....200 bucks killed.....compare that number to increased kill of bucks by residents with longer range weapons, and shed buck mistakes during late season doe hunts.....pretty sure resident kill numbers will far surpass NR kill numbers.....and have a much bigger negative impact on mature buck numbers..... If I were an Iowa resident I would be focusing my efforts on reducing kill opportunities by residents: reduce tags to 2 for residents that own land and to 1 tag for residents that don't own land.....fight the general use of crossbows and center fire rifles..........Iowa would blow the doors off of every state in the US with harvest of mature bucks.

So lets say that the bill passes ( very doubtful that it will) ....will there be a land rush from non residents to buy an 80 at $4,000. -$5,000 per acre
( $320,000.-$400,000. ) and sit on it for 10 years before they can have 1 tag?....I kinda doubt it....Buy Kansas, Missouri, Ohio.....not as good as Iowa ,but, good enough for most..... AND....let's say, instead of 160 projected new NR landowner tags there are really 500.....of those let's say 40 percent fill those tags....200 bucks killed.....compare that number to increased kill of bucks by residents with longer range weapons, and shed buck mistakes during late season doe hunts.....pretty sure resident kill numbers will far surpass NR kill numbers.....and have a much bigger negative impact on mature buck numbers..... If I were an Iowa resident I would be focusing my efforts on reducing kill opportunities by residents: reduce tags to 2 for residents that own land and to 1 tag for residents that don't own land.....fight the general use of crossbows and center fire rifles..........Iowa would blow the doors off of every state in the US with harvest of mature bucks.
Problem with that is a new form of that bill would come up shortly after for say 40 acres and a 5 year wait, and then another with 20 acres and a 3 year wait until it finally becomes non resident landowners get a tag every year no matter what. I’m a nrlo that this bill would guarantee a tag, hope like hell it doesn’t pass. Iowa deer hunting’s not broke and doesn’t need fixing, it already blows the doors off every other state the way things are.

I have neighbors who spent 1 million + to hunt their farm every 5 years with a bow so yes there will be a huge rush and 4-5k an acre is gone overnight.

1 tag for residents that don't own land.....fight the general use of crossbows and center fire rifles..........Iowa would blow the doors off of every state in the US with harvest of mature bucks.
Agree with this. If access gets depleted - the 1 buck rule may be in our future.
We already blow the doors off of almost any state. It absolutely could be better & it absolutely could get worse if we keep messing with regs.
Trying to think of places I’ve been to or know a good bit about that could rival Iowa in general…. Maybe kansas. Maybe some pockets of Ohio. Some vast empty areas of Canada. That’s about it. The places that aren’t even close- like night & day worse…. Yikes…. MN, WI, PA, MI, any state down south, etc etc. I know there’s some good pockets & some “neighborhoods” in certain states where u get lucky but overall - it’s just not in the same galaxy for quality, balanced age structure, chance at mature bucks, etc.

We have to understand - we can’t get tired of defending the last great state. The Ravin crossbow lobby, the IFC pushing rifles down our throats, special interests of all forms….. have to be vigilant. if every serious hunter joined IBA & spent 20 mins a year writing in to legislature & Getting word to masses to do same- that’s our best plan- period.

I was told the House caucused, debated, and it was rejected last Wednesday not moving out of the House. You have any insight

Last edited:
I have not heard any responding drum beats yet, but the bill was on the House Daily Debate Calendar on 3/2 and not on the subsequent HDDC published for 3/7.

A word of caution, one needs to look no further than SF 581 to know how many lives these bills have so let's not pop the cork yet.

I have gotten one reply to the jungle drum. It echoed pretty much what Windlooker indicated but they too urged caution.

The bill has been moved off the daily debate list but remains on the debate eligible list and could be called on very short notice.

Congrats on y’all’s (hopeful) success. I’ll continue to wait 5 years for my NR tag. Hope to visits the great state of Iowa in 2023.

Congrats on y’all’s (hopeful) success. I’ll continue to wait 5 years for my NR tag. Hope to visits the great state of Iowa in 2023.
Feel bad on 5 year wait for NR’s. It’s crap….. we have been promoting the state, with state resources for decades now. To reach MILLIONS!!! “Iowa has big bucks” & if a guy that got that governor/media tag doesn’t reach a huge audience in their summary report/follow up based on data …. They will not draw that tag again- given to someone who will. How messed up is that?

more folks with $…. More people wanting to travel (& flee their broken states). I agree the 5 year wait sucks & it’s crap. The SOLUTION:
1) go to zones without 5 year wait
2) MIDWEST STATES NEED TO FIX THEIR OWN RUINED MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!! If MN, MI, PA, WI, MO, NE, Etc etc etc would mimic Iowa’s regs - hunters would have MILLIONS OF ACRES OF “NEW” quality hunting land. Instead of destroyed wasteland. If ONE state could fix their issues - would be 2-5 times the hunting area that iowa has. The solution isn’t to change IOWA. The solution is to change the other Midwest states!!!!!!!!!!!
3) get rid of the governor/celebrity tags that reach millions yearly by design!!!!!

Top Bottom