Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 60 NR tag allocation for outfitters

Checking some of the social media pages (Trophy Bucks of Iowa, Iowa Bowhunters, Iowa Bowhunters(Iowa only), nearly everyone is against these bills and quite a few outspoken on those pages. If as many people that are writing on the social media their opposition to this there should be an overwhelming amount of emails being sent. I'm afraid most people just take the few seconds to write a comment on social media, but don't send any emails.

Response from Representative Baxter on HF60View attachment 120649
The sheer amount of misinformation stated in so few words is impressive. Most of us hunters see right through it, but if you’re a legislator and don’t know any better I could see how you might be convinced otherwise.

The language used by the outfitter lobby in IA is nearly identical to bills in this year’s legislative sessions across numerous other states. ID, NM, MT in particular specifically cite “stability” of the industry, outfitter cancellations and inability to book, economic benefit to the state, and supposed advantage to resident public land hunters with reduced competition from NR DIY hunters.

The outfitter and guide industry lobby orgs are comparing notes with one another and are making a coordinated effort to GROW their industry by legislating outfitter set asides.

The truth is, the availability of information,social networking, and mobile mapping software like OnX is actually eroding the need for NR to go through an outfitter. Most people just want to secure private land to hunt on, and can handle the rest of the hunt logistics themselves.

Rather than stand idly by and watch the industry eclipse, they are seeking to plant a flag in the ground.

I spoke with my rep yesterday John Forbes (D-Urbandale). We spoke for maybe 10 minute and had a good conversation. Up front he said he's not a hunter and was really not educated on this bill at all or on it's potential impacts. He will not be supporting this bill.
Unfortunately, it's almost always the people with d's behind their name that are on our side on conservation issues. It's what's so frustrating about a polarized 2 party system. Democrats will blindly vote on the side of conservation and republicans will vote pro business with no nuance considered on either side. We see this year after year.

Agree completely. Id save the cash as well. Id also hunt deer in a state where I could get a tag every year, not complain that the system isn't fair because of a decision I made.
I wouldn't. I could shoot a rifle into south dakota from my house. The tax situation to live over there would be very beneficial, plus south dakota is a great state. But I keep my flag planted in iowa for the deer hunting.

This is a very bad bill and I am on the other side of the fence as I have been involved in the guiding/outfitting business for over 20 years. I have worked to manage 4 groups of repeat archery hunters to have hunters draw every year. I don’t even have any open spots for this year. All this Bill will do is support the half assed outfitters that dont have clients for a reason. Bottom line is I can make good money on this Bill but am 100% against it. Will send emails today.

Does anyone have any info on how many “legitimate” Outfitters there are in this state right now that qualify being established before the date posted in the bill? Also curious if there’s any data on the amount of non-resident landowners in the state right now who have vested interest in tag allocation? It’s obvious there are three groups in this fight with outfitters, resident landowner and non-landowners, and non-resident land owners. I remember when people used to get together and talk things out and come up with a compromise that everyone can walk out of the room happy about or at least satisfied to a point.

Does anyone have any info on how many “legitimate” Outfitters there are in this state right now that qualify being established before the date posted in the bill? Also curious if there’s any data on the amount of non-resident landowners in the state right now who have vested interest in tag allocation? It’s obvious there are three groups in this fight with outfitters, resident landowner and non-landowners, and non-resident land owners. I remember when people used to get together and talk things out and come up with a compromise that everyone can walk out of the room happy about or at least satisfied to a point.
I don’t know how many outfitters there are, but when I spoke with rep Breckenridge he said there have been very few for some time now. If you emailed him he might know the exact # or close to it.

I don’t know how many outfitters there are, but when I spoke with rep Breckenridge he said there have been very few for some time now. If you emailed him he might know the exact # or close to it.
Will do. I just think this bill was thrown together without any research being done or any sort of facts to back up the need for what they are proposing. As I understand it there is no list of registered outfitters or guides in Iowa and there hasn’t been any specifics on how they will go about registering them or the criteria involved in this. I still see no concrete wording where is it won’t allow any preformed business entity to be able to also acquire these tags. I’m beginning to think this is going to be one of those be careful what you wish for type deals. I’ll deal with it either way if it goes through or not but if it doesn’t maybe this is an opportunity for groups from all sides to come together and compromise on something for the future before this turns into a circus like some of the other states. I guess time will tell.

I was asked to update all emails related to HF 806 (formerly HF 60). This bill did not pass through the second funnel week and will not be progressing this session.

Thank you for your participation in state government!

From McClintock’s office today
Was just gonna post the same thing. Good news

Outfitters be like

e24cca6796a26075a9d5986c4d2c1e3a.gif

LOVE IT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom