Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 94 Shooting from inside vehicle on a roadway

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to the bill: HF 94

This bill would make it illegal to shoot from a car on a roadway.

Here is a copy and paste of the code section it would amend:

481A.54 Shooting rifle, shotgun, pistol, or revolver over water, highway, or railroad right-of-way.

1. A person shall not shoot any rifle on or over any of the public waters or public highways of the state or any railroad right-of-way.
2. A person shall not shoot a shotgun with a slug load, pistol, or revolver on or over a public roadway as defined in section 321.1, subsection 65.
3. This section does not apply to any peace officers or military personnel in the performance of their official duties.

I think #2 would be changed to this:

2. A person shall not shoot a shotgun with a slug load, pistol, or revolver on or over a public roadway as defined in section 321.1, subsection 65.
A. A person shall not discharge a firearm from within or on a motor vehicle on a public highway.

I think is the correct way for the section to be formatted in regards to numbering/lettering.

Why does this change need to be made? I'm not 100% sure but I know there have been folks shooting from inside their vehicles at ditch chickens and other game and claiming their CCW permits make it legal. I know this has happened but I'm not sure it is the reason for the bill.

The bill has been referred to the Public Safety Committee instead of the Natural Resources Committee which makes me think it has to do with CCW.

EDIT: I had the incorrect Committee listed.

There are folks here who are better versed in the intricacies of CCW please chime in. I'm only going on cases I have heard about and no hard information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom