Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF599 Youth bill

Fishbonker

Life Member
As passed:

HF 599

RELATING TO HUNTING BY PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF SIXTEEN.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:

Section 1. Section 483A.24, subsection 8, Code 2020, is amended to read as follows:
8. A person under sixteen years of age is not required to have a hunting license to hunt game if accompanied by the minor’s parent or guardian or in company with any other competent adult with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian, if the person accompanying the minor possesses a valid hunting license; however, there must be one licensed adult accompanying each person under sixteen years of age. The minor must have a deer hunting license to hunt deer and a wild turkey hunting license to hunt wild turkey appropriate for the minor’s residency status. This subsection is not restricted by the provisions of section 483A.31.

This bill was introduced in January of 2019. It passed the House but was placed on the Senate unfinished business calendar tword the end of the 2019 session. It was called up on June 13th 2020 and passed. The significant thing here is where the law used to read "resident of the state" the law now reads person. It is, in my opnion, a "clean up bill". Under the old law a nonresident youth (16 or under) needed a hunting license to hunt with a parent or gardian. This law waives the need for the NR hunting license. The youth must still draw a tag. The appropriate for the minor's residency status was an amendment by Sen. Cournoyer that precluded NR youth from hunting deer and turkeys with a resident's tag.

I had forgotten all about this bill until I saw the IBA end of session legislative report that it had passed. I didn't recognze the bill so I looked it up and about had a stroke. On my first read I thought the bill took out the requirement to be a resident for youth to hunt deer. That bill/idea has been tried several times in the past. The amendment successfully stoped that aspect of the bill.

The reference to 483A.31 has to do with reciprocity for NR hunters, trappers and fisherfolks. 483A.19 also addresses reciprocity. After reading those code sections I'm not sure what the final line in the new law means. I don't think it really changes anything as the youth still needs to draw a tag to hunt deer and turkeys, but take a look:

483A.31: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/publications/search/document?fq=name:483A&fq=dtid:84&current=true#483A.31

483A.19: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/publications/search/document?fq=dtid:84&fq=name:481A#481A.19

IBA members will get an email blast with the end of year summary in the next day or two.

Top Bottom