Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hooks

Cooter

I know how they call big guys tiny..... This how this bird gets his name. No luck Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.
Birds flew down gobbled a couple times and worked off the other direction. So I went to fuel up on some breakfast at the local diner about 8.

After a nap in the truck..... Oh crap it's 1!!!!! I headed out. Did some walking and calling. Wasn't long got a response from across the creek. I moved his direction and called again. Game on. Set up the hen and Jake and quickly and jump into the nearest log pile.
Called again. Gobble gobble right on the other side of the creek. Man he is coming fast. Hear him fly across.
Next thing his head tops the creek bank. He spots the Jake deke and his head fades to the color of a hens instantly. Game off.....

He avoids my setup circling it at 75 yards. No color no strutting nothing. What a wimp I'm thinking. Only a little more adult language....

Once out of sight he starts gobbling again. So I call some more with some more gobbles. Then nothing. Twenty minutes or so go by and my AADD is getting to me so I move to see if the coast is clear.

Nope there he is sixty yards out strutting. I work my way to my belly so I'm looking at him from under one of the logs.
He is strutting and stopping to to look. Slowly working closer.
He works his way to forty-five yards stops stretches his head up to give a look and I squeeze the trigger and he drops where he stood with barely a flop.

This my first gun bird. May not be my last. Haven't got enough shooting in to feel confident to bow hunt this spring.

Why I call him hooks and why he wanted nothing to do with the Jake

Selfies are tough sometimes. Best I could do.

Last edited:
We had a mature tom like that in our youth camp two years ago. He had a 10" beard and absolutely no spurs whatsoever. I expect mountain Merriams to have worn spurs, but that tom's spurs were nonexistent. Cool bird, Cooter!

Top Bottom