Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How are the shot gunners doing?

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, so back to the topic....anybody have any reports from Boone county? I haven't heard anything around here

My folks said their neighbors did lousy. Usually shoot a bunch every year. Didn't give me any numbers, though. I saw the usual amount of deer during bow season, so maybe they just had a run of bad luck. Over by Ledges State Park.

Yep, I can't sleep at night because I'm too busy worrying about how the neighbor hunts. Nail on the head. I honestly don't care how people hunt or even why they hunt. I do however voice my opinions wether they are with or against the grain. Bottom line is party hunting and shotgun season are not going anywhere and I know that. People can gripe and complain all they want but next year first weekend of December I will throw on the Orange, dust off the 1187 and once again head out to the timber along with many others. Maybe I will see a few of you driving around patrolling your properties and trying to keep your deer contained. I will be the guy smiling and waving!

What's wrong with driving or parking at your property to keep the pushers off?

What's wrong with driving or parking at your property to keep the pushers off?

Whats wrong with people staying on ground where they have permission to be instead of going wherever they want without giving it a second thought.
The fine to them costs less than the tag and gas money they use to drive around for a few weekends a year.
On the other hand, if they want to pay for all my foodplot seed, taxes, all my equipment and time invested then i might let a few guys sit just to keep people from pushing

My folks said their neighbors did lousy. Usually shoot a bunch every year. Didn't give me any numbers, though. I saw the usual amount of deer during bow season, so maybe they just had a run of bad luck. Over by Ledges State Park.

Thanks for the info. I happened to make a poor shot, most likely non-lethal, on a very good buck while bowhunting around ledges so I've been keeping an eye and ear open to see if he got shot or found by the orange army. Hopefully he survived or there will be a few still around for late season.

Yep, I can't sleep at night because I'm too busy worrying about how the neighbor hunts. Nail on the head. I honestly don't care how people hunt or even why they hunt. I do however voice my opinions wether they are with or against the grain. Bottom line is party hunting and shotgun season are not going anywhere and I know that. People can gripe and complain all they want but next year first weekend of December I will throw on the Orange, dust off the 1187 and once again head out to the timber along with many others. Maybe I will see a few of you driving around patrolling your properties and trying to keep your deer contained. I will be the guy smiling and waving!

I think Saskguy was agreeing with you.

Sure haven't seen the amount of deer pics killed this year in Iowa. I know the deer herd is down, but surely there have been some giants killed shotgun season, there always is.

I think Saskguy was agreeing with you. Sure haven't seen the amount of deer pics killed this year in Iowa. I know the deer herd is down, but surely there have been some giants killed shotgun season, there always is.

I didn't intend to single out saskguy. It's mostly sarcastic just like about every other post I make on here. A guy can't take any of this internet debating seriously or they would go nuts! I haven't heard of anyone killing any real monsters but I do know of a 175 and 179 that fell first season. With the warm temps and fog I think it made for a difficult year so far. Plenty of 3 year olds to be had tho! :)

Thanks for the info. I happened to make a poor shot, most likely non-lethal, on a very good buck while bowhunting around ledges so I've been keeping an eye and ear open to see if he got shot or found by the orange army. Hopefully he survived or there will be a few still around for late season.
My dad hunted the public ground coming up out of the Ledges on the south side on Wednesday last week. He ran into a couple hunters carting out a big tall buck. Don't know any more than that.

People need to cut back on the criticism; not all of us shotgun hunters/drives are bad. Complaining and griping about "your deer" getting shot during shotgun season on here isn't accomplishing anything except firing up the guys who shotgun hunt and follow the rules. Ya, it sucks that shotgun groups kill a lot of young deer and there is quite a bit of law breaking that occurs, but that happens during other seasons too so stop whining and complaining about it. A guy I work with hunted bow season and early muzzy and he told me he hadn't practiced with either one since high school. So the orange army isn't all inclusive for the idiots out there. We could go round and round for days but most IW guys are cut from a different cloth so you're preaching to the choir.

I personally don't shotgun hunt, but I am seeing a trend here... When did this site become IowaArcherywhitetail? Is it not better to get out and hunt at all than to spend a weekend at the mall or in front of a TV?!?! Not trying to start anything but I think there is a bigger picture here.

I personally don't shotgun hunt, but I am seeing a trend here... When did this site become IowaArcherywhitetail? Is it not better to get out and hunt at all than to spend a weekend at the mall or in front of a TV?!?! Not trying to start anything but I think there is a bigger picture here.
Trying to find the like button.

Best quote of the thread. IowaArcherywhitetail. Hahahahaha. Ain't that the truth.

People just need to quit worrying that others are shooting young bucks or "their deer". Sure it's okay to hope it doesn't happen but worrying it will or that it did doesn't do a whole bunch of good for one's mental health.
Such stresses should be saved for the things that really matter in life.

Let's also not forget the example that Doubletree taught us. Clearly, if our lives were only worth the deer we have mounted on the wall or meat in the freezer, we'll have wasted on our lives on things that either moth will eventually destroy, or will end up getting flushed down the toilet. Our lives, liberties, and the health to climb a tree stand, pull back a bow, or put a deer in the crosshairs of our gun, were given to us as gifts by our Creator. I for one refuse to let hunting become an idol in my life like it has for friends of mine, or others I've encountered online or seen on TV. There is far more important things in life than a four footed animal.

Let's also not forget the example that Doubletree taught us. Clearly, if our lives were only worth the deer we have mounted on the wall or meat in the freezer, we'll have wasted on our lives on things that either moth will eventually destroy, or will end up getting flushed down the toilet. Our lives, liberties, and the health to climb a tree stand, pull back a bow, or put a deer in the crosshairs of our gun, were given to us as gifts by our Creator. I for one refuse to let hunting become an idol in my life like it has for friends of mine, or others I've encountered online or seen on TV. There is far more important things in life than a four footed animal.

Best quote of the entire thread.

Fantastic reminder!

Wow what a great reminder of what it's truely about and hopefully each and every one of us will think of this after your kill or even before it! I think we all get a little selfish during deer season or I know I do, but I would have a hard time giving it up. I always remind myself it could be a lot worse.

I was going to come in and make some sarcastic post, rile up those better-than-everyone-else bow hunters, but the last page and a half of this thread turned out to be pretty darn good. Thanks for the DoubleTree example, it sure puts things in a better light.

Top Bottom