Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long will DCO acorns last?

78mac78

How long with DCO acorn last in the fridge with sprout started already? Assuming a while as long as they don’t dry out.

Do you put in peat moss or just plain? Also do you poke holes in your ziplocs? I read through the acorns to oaks thread and seem to remember guys saying dco's needed treated a little different.
I've not had any issues. Peat moss w/ little bit of moisture. Not too much. I use bags that aren't sealed like grocery bag or trash bag.

Actually collecting some today. (this is full size Chinkapin)

Screenshot_20220922_091302.jpg

Screenshot_20220922_091313.jpg

10-4! I planted some in grow bags already that I am planning on transplanting next fall after I have some areas cleaned up.

Agree on above. I don’t get too moist with peat moss. Like- barely moist. Here’s key or one thing that has helped me…. I put in a cold fridge. Like 35 degrees. Just above freezing. I’ve had more trouble on warmer fridge settings. Really seemed to help being very cold.

Will this work or do I need to insulate the sides? .5 gallon grow bags. Planning on keeping them watered.
Worth a shot. I’ve never tried that way myself but likely it’s fine. Don’t over water them. Looks great!

Top Bottom