Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many bucks are poached ...

So....... since you don't want to hunt 4 gun season's, knobody else should be able to. It doesn't shock me at all if that is how you think. Who are you to tell someone else how they should enjoy a legal activity. Sounds like you need to wory more about what's going on in your neck of the woods than mine!!!

And just for the record I do not partake in the November doe hunt. There is not enough does around my area. I also enjoy watching deer while I'm hunting. Why let government restrict you, go ahead and restrict yourself, if there isn't enough deer in your area, quit shooting them> DUH

You were whining about opportunities to hunt. All I did was show you the opportunities you have and give an honest opinion. I wasn't telling anybody how to enjoy anything. Or even whether or not they should. It's not this freakin moral dilema you're making it into. If you can't take an opinion then don't read what I write. Clearly I AM worried about what's going on in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't be so strongly opinionated if I hadn't seen the reprocussions of our "bonus'' seasons... I shoot one doe a year usually with my bow and a buck if I'm lucky. Same with muzz season. I haven't shot a deer off my awesome farm gone bad in 4 years. People like you must have taken care of that for me!! :way:

Well I shot two - a 140 & a 125. I believe in this November antlerless season!! Its the bees knees!

IMHO I think we should open an any sex rifle season in early November. Could you imagine the bucks we could lay down then?!?! It would definitely be something we should write our legislators about. I know there is a definite safety issue with rifles but I know us "knowledgeable" hunters could make do.

I knew it!

People that know me know I love the archery season.
I do not like the early doe season either but they have it for a reason.
I actually carried my gun and bow during this season. I figured they will keep it open until the herd is reduced and I will help do my part.
They will then shut it down.
I do believe they are trying to do their best to protect the cash cow.

I actually had a 160" buck walk by at 40 yards. Guess what? He is still out there. Has happened to me twice this year. No tag no buck. Not all people are criminals. (Hope he does it again this weekend). :grin:

We can not do anything about the criminals except catch them and turn them in. Hard to catch them but they will get caught.

Hope you catch who is poaching your deer.

during the early doe season. I have had 3 people that bow hunt regularly find bucks with their heads cut off. They were fresh kills with bullet holes in the deer. I imagine it happens all over the place. Is anyone else out there finding the same thing. I found one last year that was shot on a property that I had a tree stand on. I had passed on this buck numerous times as he was only a 1 1/2 yr old 10 point with tremendous potential. I found him under my tree stand with a bullet hole in him. It made me sick and very angry. This early doe season, IMO, is not a good season. It gives people another avenue of shooting bucks and a way for them to get away with it. I frankly wish the DNR would shut this season down. It does no good.

I don't like this season for a number of reasons, and yes I do think that there are bucks shot during this season. However that is not the main reason, I really feel that we are shooting too many does and whether the IDNR or any one else thinks so I think that we are heading for real problems in terms of population numbers. I won't bore you again with all the reasons, but with fewer deer and more hunters and licenses issued that ever before our harvest has been cut almost in half in 4 or 5 years. That has to stop before disaster, either natural like CWD or Black Tongue, or man made decimates the few remaining deer.

Risto , I am sure that you already know, but just to clarify things for others. Shotguns, muzzle loaders, pistols, and bows are legal weapons for the November season. How ever if you are carrying both a bow and a shotgun and are carrying both licenses you are in violation. Since a shotgun is not a legal weapon in the bow season if you are carrying a shot gun with a bow tag in your possession that is illegal. I am sure that is why you didn't take the shot at that buck, but others might not understand. I hope you do see him on Saturday.:way:

dwilk i hope you were jokin about openin a rifle season in early november! it that happened this great huntin state would fall to shit like mo and nebraska. an anysex rifle season is at the top of the list for things this state doesnt need!

QUOTE: Originally posted by Bowmaker
Risto , I am sure that you already know, but just to clarify things for others. Shotguns, muzzle loaders, pistols, and bows are legal weapons for the November season. How ever if you are carrying both a bow and a shotgun and are carrying both licenses you are in violation. Since a shotgun is not a legal weapon in the bow season if you are carrying a shot gun with a bow tag in your possession that is illegal. I am sure that is why you didn't take the shot at that buck, but others might not understand. I hope you do see him on Saturday.:way:[/QUOTE]

really? I didn't know this. I thought you could carry your ML and Bow during late ML if you had a tag for both. Why is it different during the NOV antlerless season, if you have a tag for both? The season is open for both bow and the Antlerless season.

For late ML season you can use either a ML or a bow as a legal weapon for your late ML tag. The catch is you can't use a ML as a legal weapon during the bow season, so if you have a bow tag in your possession the ML is not a legal weapon. The rational is that a criminal could shoot a deer with the ML and then put the bow tag on it which would be illegal. The same thing holds true for the November season.

dwilk i hope you were jokin about openin a rifle season in early november! it that happened this great huntin state would fall to shit like mo and nebraska. an anysex rifle season is at the top of the list for things this state doesnt need!

no way bukfevr, think about it?!?! If we had a rifle season during early November - could you imagine the success we would have?!?! I have almost killed some nice deer with my bow in early November - if I had a rifle my odds would be awesome.. Could you imagine the money taht could bring to Iowa. Some new world records would definitely be shot as well. I like it when my friends shot deer too so it would be nice to be around big bucks al the time.

If we had a rifle season during early November - could you imagine the success we would have?!?!

Just think of the opposition state's that have rifle season during the rut would see if they tried to change it!!!

I don't like the antlerless only gun seasons either... but for slightly different reasons I guess.. Like someone said earlier, one of the reasons for so many antlerless tags and doe seasons is because of vehicle/deer collisions and insurance companies griping about it and what not.. I truely think that deer harvest numbers would ultimately be higher if we did not have the November antlerless season.. Around here, it chases all the deer out of the woods and out into the open and into un-picked corn fields, thus, providing a drastically lower amount of opportunities to the first and second season gun hunters who are able to harvest more deer. I have experienced this first hand..a small group gets together and hunts some of the same properties during the antlerless season as we do gun season 1.. the majority of the deer get away from them because; one- they can only shoot does, and two- they dont have as many people to effectively cover the area. These deer are now spooked and hide in small fence rows out in the middle of nowhere and in un-picked cornfields.. I dont see why they just don't extend the regular gun season 3 more days... I also don't like the late antlerless season.. 100% of my reasoning for that is because the last few years, there have been way too many shed bucks killed.. The purpose of the season is to cull the herd by harvesting female deer, not to be opportunistic and shoot a buck with its headgear off.. I realize most people thought they were shooting a doe, but, that's just my point.

... I also don't like the late antlerless season.. 100% of my reasoning for that is because the last few years, there have been way too many shed bucks killed.. The purpose of the season is to cull the herd by harvesting female deer, not to be opportunistic and shoot a buck with its headgear off.. I realize most people thought they were shooting a doe, but, that's just my point.

Now there's a statement I can get behind.

I vote against the november antlerless season as well. I know they may need it but there is plenty of time to shoot all the does you want without the Thanksgiving season. It not only messes up the bowhunters, but it educates the big boys for the regular shotty seaons...what's wrong with shooting em then???

I also heard but never checked for sure that the Thanksgiving doe season could't be done on public ground. ARE YOU KIDDING me!?! what is the reason for this...they don't want to mess up the pheasant hunters? OR do they think they manage the public ground better than the rest of us?

For late ML season you can use either a ML or a bow as a legal weapon for your late ML tag. The catch is you can't use a ML as a legal weapon during the bow season, so if you have a bow tag in your possession the ML is not a legal weapon. The rational is that a criminal could shoot a deer with the ML and then put the bow tag on it which would be illegal. The same thing holds true for the November season.

Off the original post topic.
Just to clarify for all, I checked with the DNR and both weapons can be carried to the stand during seasons that overlap such as the Nov antlerless and the bow season, as well as the late split of the bow and late ML as long as the hunter has a legal tag for each weapon, and uses the correct tag for the correct weapon used. ( They are assuming that people will do the right thing, which they should.) I did not ask, but I would assume the same true for the early ML and early split bow season too.

I checked with the NE regional office as well. They told me the same thing.
As long as you have a tag you can carry more than one weapon to the stand.

Off the original post topic.
Just to clarify for all, I checked with the DNR and both weapons can be carried to the stand during seasons that overlap such as the Nov antlerless and the bow season, as well as the late split of the bow and late ML as long as the hunter has a legal tag for each weapon, and uses the correct tag for the correct weapon used. ( They are assuming that people will do the right thing, which they should.) I did not ask, but I would assume the same true for the early ML and early split bow season too.

I checked with the NE regional office as well. They told me the same thing.
As long as you have a tag you can carry more than one weapon to the stand.

I sent deeraddict a PM after I finally read his message. I stand corrected and was working from what had been the opinion several years ago. I am sorry if i obviously misinformed any one here. Thanks to both of you for your time and research in clarifying this miss step on my part. :eek:

I vote against the november antlerless season as well. I know they may need it but there is plenty of time to shoot all the does you want without the Thanksgiving season. It not only messes up the bowhunters, but it educates the big boys for the regular shotty seaons...what's wrong with shooting em then???

I also heard but never checked for sure that the Thanksgiving doe season could't be done on public ground. ARE YOU KIDDING me!?! what is the reason for this...they don't want to mess up the pheasant hunters? OR do they think they manage the public ground better than the rest of us?
That's right! You couldn't hunt public land during the Nov. doe season. I'm pretty sure there was alot of bitching from the 1st season shotgun hunters the last couple of years. Plenty of hunters out there don't have private land to hunt, and we don't have an abundance of public land either!

That's right! You couldn't hunt public land during the Nov. doe season. I'm pretty sure there was alot of bitching from the 1st season shotgun hunters the last couple of years. Plenty of hunters out there don't have private land to hunt, and we don't have an abundance of public land either!

I am NOT sure about this, just speculating but I'm guessing the idea was for the safety of bowhunters who might be in the trees at the time. That's why I'm not all that onboard with the idea personally but that's just me. From what I heard when they were originally talking about the Thanksgiving deal, it was designed for the family members that get together back at the farm they grew up on so they could share some time afield together sort of situation. So they almost fashioned the whole thing with private ground in mind. Again...I could be completely wrong in that assessment, if so somebody will correct it.

no way bukfevr, think about it?!?! If we had a rifle season during early November - could you imagine the success we would have?!?! I have almost killed some nice deer with my bow in early November - if I had a rifle my odds would be awesome.. Could you imagine the money taht could bring to Iowa. Some new world records would definitely be shot as well. I like it when my friends shot deer too so it would be nice to be around big bucks al the time.

no buddy i dont want to think about it. yeah there would be a ton of big bucks killed thats for sure. the state would make money for two or three years until the buck population in this booner state has dwindled to nothing thanks to the rifle rut hunt. theres no difficulty in shootin an animal with a rifle, thats what makes bowhuntin so great. if you want to rifle hunt go to missouri or nebraska where the huntin isnt half as good due to the rifle season in the rut. i will continue to kill bucks with archery equip and pray that iowa never opens an anysex rifle season!

. From what I heard when they were originally talking about the Thanksgiving deal, it was designed for the family members that get together back at the farm they grew up on so they could share some time afield together sort of situation. So they almost fashioned the whole thing with private ground in mind.

They must be assuming that every family member lives in Iowa. Not many average people would spend 500 dollars to shoot a doe with their family members.

Top Bottom