Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How old?

DoneRight

PMA Member
picture.php

My buddy and I are trying to figure out how old this buck is. I think he is 6.5 + and my buddy thinks he is only 4.5 yr old. I think he is way down hill, the picture came off of a property we just started hunting last year from a handheld camera in the stand. I'm asking for help because we believe he is a bully buck, but we dont want to take him out if he has any way of adding inches. He got numerous passes from both of us this last year.

Looks like a down hill buck to me i would say hes closer to 6.5 than 4.5 doesnt look to have much potential anyways IMO. If hes pushing the other deer off the property i would of gotten rid of him.

I would say downhill as well. Even if he is only 4.5, he's likely not going to blow up all of a sudden if that's all he's done up to this point. I'd take him out if he's hurting the rest.

I'd say he is at least 5. If he is a bully, I can't see him winning too many fights with that little rack! I would take him out anyways, as he seems to be plenty mature.

Hard to judge the hindquarters since he is lifting his leg, but put your thumb over his antlers and he looks old to me.

Looks like a 2.5 to me. Straight back and tight tucked up belly. Not the typical signs of a old 6.5+ deer. Doesnt appear to have all that gray of a face either or the typical blocky head of an older deer. Maybe Im all wet on this one but looks young to me.

Thanks guys. To me his neck and head say old, but he has no belly sag. The picture is of him coming in to a decoy. Which throws me for a loop, because I've never had a buck older than 3.5 come in to a decoy. This is the last chance I had to take him with a bow and passed. My buddy had numerous other chances after this pic was taken. I guess we were just erring on the side of caution if he is young. Not that he will ever be a monster, but if he is young and adds a couple points would be a nice 8 in the future.

It would be easier to tell in a field with other bucks to compare with and see his dominance. What month was this pic? Like you, because of his neck, chest and head, I am also leaning towards older without much potential.

I commend you both on erring on the side of safe. 95 out of a 100 would use his body size as an excuse to shoot, rather than really studying and consider his age. It's hard to tell from one pic, but whether he's 4 or 6, I don't see him blowing up. It will be interesting to see if he's around this year.

I'd say take him. I highly doubt with a rack like that he's going to blow up. And if he is an older deer and a bully he's probably passing his poor genetics on. If you have an opp to take him next year I wouldnt pass him if you really care about your herd.

I dont think this buck is 6+.

Hes at least a 3 1/2 yr old. Most likely a little older. He obviously doesnt have much potential. Hes just pushing the better deer off your property. Kill him.

Top Bottom