Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How old?

Handcannon

My buddy shot an old buck this year. The reason I think it was old is because he only had 2 molars clear at the back of his bottom jaw & like 4 front teeth. His gums were healed over ages ago & smooth where his teeth should be. Inside of his mouth was black from licking dirt, I assume. He had pretty good bases, not much for tine length. He kept his left eye closed, looked like an old injury. Also had that Roman nose look & entire face was gray/white.
At what age do their teeth disappear?

My buddy shot an old buck this year. The reason I think it was old is because he only had 2 molars clear at the back of his bottom jaw & like 4 front teeth. His gums were healed over ages ago & smooth where his teeth should be. Inside of his mouth was black from licking dirt, I assume. He had pretty good bases, not much for tine length. He kept his left eye closed, looked like an old injury. Also had that Roman nose look & entire face was gray/white.
At what age do their teeth disappear?
9-10+

Ya- without pics, based on what u say- OLD!!! Old deer don’t always have big bases either. Can be spindly like younger deer in many cases.
u can attach pic from phone here if u wanna post it.

• Deleted by Handcannon
  • Reason: updated
Show…
Is this a joke?
You see any teeth other than the front & 2 molars? This deer looked like he had absolutely had it when he walked by me at 15'. He looked right at me sitting by a tree, he just did not care, milled around for about 3 minutes in front of me & slowly walked off. My buddy got him on the adjoining property about 1/2 hour later. We both thought he looked old & then we checked his teeth to try to age him.

No disrespect but have you ever looked at a deers jawbone before?
Those big LOWER front teeth indicate a young deer.

No disrespect but have you ever looked at a deers jawbone before?
Those big LOWER front teeth indicate a young deer.
To be scientifically correct you can’t age a deer just looking at it’s teeth. Maybe 60% success from the best people out there. You have to take the time to cut a premolar and dye it then count growth rings like a tree. Only possible way to get a correct age.

Big lower front teeth also indicate receding gums. Hard to see in the video but his mouth certainly had front teeth & 2 molars clear in the back. Here's an young 8 point I cleaned for my kids science class years ago. This is what his mouth should look like full of teeth, and they get ground down as they get older. We tried to feel them - just gums.
20201225_213740.jpg

To be scientifically correct you can’t age a deer just looking at it’s teeth. Maybe 60% success from the best people out there. You have to take the time to cut a premolar and dye it then count growth rings like a tree. Only possible way to get a correct age.
Yes...I know that.
But those front insiors also go down with age.
Thats a young buck in my opinion.

I was confused by the video. Someone seemed to be pushing gums in to cover teeth.
.... also wondering if this is dry humor.

I was confused by the video. Someone seemed to be pushing gums in to cover teeth.
.... also wondering if this is dry humor.
Oh my, can't wait for 2020 to be over. Do you see any on top? Anywhere except the 2 clear in the back? I will see if I can get my buddy to go get the head & take some still pics. Which I doubt he will do because the deer was taken on the 7th, I think. Anyways almost 20 days ago. I could show the video on here but there is language that is not suitable for our future outdoors generations.

Oh my, can't wait for 2020 to be over. Do you see any on top? Anywhere except the 2 clear in the back? I will see if I can get my buddy to go get the head & take some still pics. Which I doubt he will do because the deer was taken on the 7th, I think. Anyways almost 20 days ago. I could show the video on here but there is language that is not suitable for our future outdoors generations.
The teeth, gums, color of face & shape of snout on that vid had me thinking or my gut said “very old”. Short vid but I’d tend to agree it’s old.

Top Bottom