Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to hunt cornfields

Bowhunt

This next week is early muzzleloader and there is alot of corn in. I was wondering how some of you are going to deal with this. I know there are alot of nice deer that stay in the corn until it is harvested. I would say if I hunt I would focus on draws that have corn around them, weedy areas in a field (like a field tile), along timberlines, or fencerows along the edge. So how does everyone else go about hunting corn?

Hunt fencelines and if you have any alfalfa fields to hunt, go there. I'm avoiding this problem completely by going shotgun season this year. (Seems like there's always too much corn in the week of early muzzleloader.)

I have read some books on this matter and they say the best way is to have some people drive and have some people post at the end or in thickets where the deer may run to. If you are by yourself...it must be windy enough to cover your movement through the corn. Work in a zig-zag pattern going across the rows and bending down and looking down the rows. You can usually see the deer bedded down. It also works better if you know where there are some wet spots that have turned into grass patches or if there are any grassy waterways or terraces the better.

Check out my article "When the Food becomes the Cover" in the articles section.

The deer DO come out of the corn, but I've found the reason most of us don't seem to see them when hunting the edges is because we're setting up in the wrong way....hunting the corn as if it is the feeding area not the bedding area. It DOES make a difference, and I've seen alot more bucks since I've tried this hunting "backwards" tactic.

Good luck, Hope this helps someone-
>>--Ron--<>

Ron
I just read your article. Good stuff, makes a lot of sense. I do have one question though. Most of your article is about hunting standing corn. When you said you kicked up big bucks pheasant hunting, were you hunting standing corn? I assume once the corn is harvested it becomes a food source once again. I too have kicked up bucks pheasant hunting but it was in CRP or small out of the way draws. I think the timing might be right to do some hunting next week WHILE the corn is being harvested. I'd like to know any thoughts you have for tactics in this situation. Thanks.

i'm thinking about trying the cornfield approach this weekend. predicted 30+ mph winds on saturday, could make for some really fun hunting.

30 MPH winds! You may want to cosider a mobile green and yellow stand.....
grin.gif

Danno,

Thanks. Yes, both big bucks we kicked up while bird hunting came busting out of standing corn. We were hunting in and around partially harvested fields, sending the dogs into the corn as we walked the outside edges and blocked the ends of the rows. Believe me, if you think a big ol' cockbird flushing at your feet is a rush, wait until a 180" 12 point explodes out of the corn right smack in front of you when you think it's just one of the dogs coming your way!!
shocked.gif

Everything goes back to "normal" as far as feeding and bedding areas, once the corn is cut. An EXCELLENT time to be on stand is when the corn is being harvested. It's amazing how many deer will hold up until almost the last few rows remain before fleeing the corn for the woods.

My pick as top choice for a stand site then would be just INSIDE the edge of the thickest cover nearest to the corn...as they will be in a total panic and want to get as hidden as possible- as fast as possible.

I say the inside edge because for a bowhunter they would pass too quickly on their way INTO the cover, but would probably slow down or stop to look back, once they feel safe inside the thick stuff allowing for a better chance at a bowshot.

Hope this helps, good luck and shoot straight!

>>--Ron--<>

Top Bottom