Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 157 Using dogs while fur harvesting

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to the bill: HSB 157

This bill requires fur harvesters using dogs to get prior permission from the land owner for their dogs to be on the private property.

Introduced today and assigned to a subcommittee.

Representative Tom Jeneary, House District 5, parts of Plymouth and Woodbury counties. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: Tom.Jeneary@legis.iowa.gov

Representative Thomas D. Gerhold, House District 75, Benton and parts of Iowa counties. Legislative web site: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: Thomas.Gerhold@legis.iowa.gov

Representative Chris Hall, House District 13, parts of Woodbury county. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Email: chris.hall@legis.iowa.gov

So no letting coyote hounds run free anywhere? I like this. I get dogs don't know fencelines but we've seen people very intentionally letting their dogs on to areas they know they aren't supposed to be and going to the other end of the section just waiting. Hopefully those who have dogs that do cross a fence unintentionally are shown some grace the first time or two. Hate to ruin a sport that others love but there needs to be some law in place for those that intentionally release their dogs on private land they aren't supposed to be on.

I'm big on hunting opportunities and land owner's right, so I'm torn on this one. But if I had to vote on this one, I'd vote for it.

The entire hound community was warned to police their own last year. They didn’t change. Time to protect landowners rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no letting coyote hounds run free anywhere? I like this. I get dogs don't know fencelines but we've seen people very intentionally letting their dogs on to areas they know they aren't supposed to be and going to the other end of the section just waiting. Hopefully those who have dogs that do cross a fence unintentionally are shown some grace the first time or two. Hate to ruin a sport that others love but there needs to be some law in place for those that intentionally release their dogs on private land they aren't supposed to be on.
I caught a guy throwing his dog over the fence into the neighbors. He'd seen coyote tracks in the fresh snow crossing the road. His first question was if I was the landowner. My reply is that if you ask that question, you obviously don't know, do you? I was hoping to pheasant hunt later in the day and didn't care for his dogs to bust them all out of the cover. Kind of torn on this as well, but feel violated when someone does this on my property.

This bill has been reworked and is on the agenda for the full House Committee meeting on Monday, 02/15/21.

Link to public comments: Comment here

Be sure to list the bill you are commenting on.

Love dudes killing coyotes on land they should be on. Some do it that way. Many abuse the system - arrogantly in some cases. It’s been a long time but I remember some folks letting them out on a farm I was hunting with a kid right as we were going out. Couldn’t even wait til deer season was done.

Coyote dogs and trespass laws both need tightening. Not over the top BUT a good adjustment is needed to fix an issue that’s abused statewide.

**I do NOT support felony charges. Maybe after repeat violations. When illegals can continue to come in the country, (often through “coyotes” ironically) & not get felony charges, don’t feel it’s right to put a higher standard on coyote hunting.

Passed full committee today 18-1 with an amendment. Not sure what all was on the amendment but when it is published I'll post it here.

Top Bottom