Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 158 Crossbows in late archery season

If you didn't get to hunt LM then how would you propose to hunt the 2nd archery split. .......You have the time to hunt or you don't. There are doe tags available or their arn't....

I had oodles of time, and two unfilled archery tags. I cannot physically draw my bow in the cold, but because I’m not “disabled” I’m not eligible for a crossbow.

Even 12 weeks of weight lifting class didn’t help. It’s not for lack of trying.

I’d personally prefer to put limits on the power a crossbow has to keep them more on par with the compound bows, but this is likely unenforceable and a silly option as well.

The 5 acre farm we hunt late season has 30-40 deer on it nightly. The farmer wants us to kill deer.

It’s not like crossbow is going to result in more tags sold, so I don’t understand the argument. You can shoot deer with a bow late season because you have tags and muscle. I have tags for late season bow but I can’t use them because of a physical disadvantage. I’m NOT the only one, and women like me are the fastest growing segment of the hunting sport across all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had oodles of time, and two unfilled archery tags. I cannot physically draw my bow in the cold, but because I’m not “disabled” I’m not eligible for a crossbow.

Even 12 weeks of weight lifting class didn’t help. It’s not for lack of trying.

I’d personally prefer to put limits on the power a crossbow has to keep them more on par with the compound bows, but this is likely unenforceable and a silly option as well.

The 5 acre farm we hunt late season has 30-40 deer on it nightly. The farmer wants us to kill deer.

It’s not like crossbow is going to result in more tags sold, so I don’t understand the argument. You can shoot deer with a bow late season because you have tags and muscle. I have tags for late season bow but I can’t use them because of a physical disadvantage. I’m NOT the only one, and women like me are the fastest growing segment of the hunting sport across all species.

Crossbow in Archery season will absolutely result in more tags sold. Just take a look at the numbers from Wisconsin.

I really don't care if someone hunts with a crossbow. Though you are making the point of a lot of guys agruements against them. I've seen fully able bodied men not able to draw due to the cold. I am over my archery hunter superiority complex. Just don't call it a bow kill.;) Also, the sad fact is if you haven't found a Dr. that would sign off on a CB permit for you you haven't tried very hard. I might also suggest yo look into an electric vest.

My concern is the added pressure on the resource and it's impact on the future of that resource and access to it. It is an undeniable fact that when you increase hunter effectiveness you will eventually have to change or reduce access (tags) to it. The way we are going in this state it's only a mater of time before 2 tags won't fly anymore.

Good post and point. Fair & I understand where u coming from.
If it’s about filling tag- u still have either shotguns to hunt, early ML or u can use your CB during late ML. Maybe traveling to areas with high deer #’s to shoot some does.

I would encourage anyone to TRY and think from this point of view..... we cannot think of “this would uniquely be cool for ME”. We have to spend some time thinking “what’s best for EVERYONE? What’s best for the herd? What’s best to keep iowa an incredibly well managed state? What can we do to provide access & opportunity to good hunting for all levels of hunters?” Stuff like that. You get my point. That does end up helping “ME” in the long run as well.
When we have 4 months, 6+ weapons, 7 seasons and a small amount of good habitat in this state - we all can see where the bottle neck is..... it’s NOT the weapons or seasons & they don’t need to be messed with..... there’s more opportunity there than ANYONE could ever need!!!!! We need to keep things great or even do a little more on the conservative side of things (yes, maybe tighten things up a bit - be better than liberalizing things) so hunting continues to be great, exciting & of high quality.
The more “basic small farms” that are “decent to good hunting” on average, the more youth & regular hunters will want to take the sport up. the more we liberalize it- the more it’s locked up for big farms and the small farms get destroyed with poor management. Counter productive opening more weapons & seasons up. For the good of the “everyday folks & younger hunters” - hold the line. Keep iowa great. No more weapons, seasons or major changes these special interests want. This is one clear line that’s black & white.... folks in iowa - more & more understand what’s going on- have to hold the line. NO MORE.
I’d respectfully BOTTOM LINE the crossbow discussion IMO..... if they get what they want... it might be a tiny win for a very few select & unique hunters. Hunters that still have countless opportunities as it sits right now. The true Winners will be the Crossbow companies & lobbyists - period. $. The Losers will be: the state of iowa, the deer herd, the small farms, the access and the newer/younger hunters.

Absolutely. ^^ Well said...and I mean no disrespect to any potential crossbow hunter by saying this, but there ALREADY ARE many "opportunities" to hunt deer here now. Continued relaxation of the rules and liberalization of the seasons and methods of take will degrade the quality here in this state...period. The winners...people selling bigger guns, crossbows, etc, etc. The losers...all of the people that are now satisfied with the state of the Iowa herd.

Personally, I would love this. I’m female and despite years of practice, I can barely draw enough weight to make ethical shots. Add a bit of cold, and I can’t do it.

This would actually allow me to use a bow during late season.

I absolutely would not support crossbow during the rut.

30-35 pounds is really all you need.

There’s a reason I don’t have a photo with the buck in my avatar, 35 pounds is not enough for better than a single lung shot, which many deer survive. That deer took 3 weeks to die.

It took me 3 years to work up to my current 43 pounds, and I cannot draw at all when I’m chilled. Still have never had a pass through after 8 years of bow hunting and upgrading to the latest matthews bow.

It’s also why I’m so involved with the blood trackers. I’m the poster child for needing help from a dog.

There’s a reason I don’t have a photo with the buck in my avatar, 35 pounds is not enough for better than a single lung shot, which many deer survive. That deer took 3 weeks to die.

It took me 3 years to work up to my current 43 pounds, and I cannot draw at all when I’m chilled. Still have never had a pass through after 8 years of bow hunting and upgrading to the latest matthews bow.

It’s also why I’m so involved with the blood trackers. I’m the poster child for needing help from a dog.

As Biden would say that's Malarky, my boys shot 30-35 pounds and had no issues killing deer. sharp broadhead and shot placement are key. 4 deer none went further than 40 yards after being shot. Heck i know several women that only shoot 30-35 pounds and have zero trouble killing deer.
If you cant bow hunt when its cold pick up the muzzleloader

Absolutely. ^^ Well said...and I mean no disrespect to any potential crossbow hunter by saying this, but there ALREADY ARE many "opportunities" to hunt deer here now. Continued relaxation of the rules and liberalization of the seasons and methods of take will degrade the quality here in this state...period. The winners...people selling bigger guns, crossbows, etc, etc. The losers...all of the people that are now satisfied with the state of the Iowa herd.

You’re right. Guess I just need to buy 10 doe tags September 15 like my husband does, instead of just 2 because I like to be in the woods every season.

Bird numbers are up, I could bird hunt and support pheasants forever instead too.

Do you want more hunters or not?? Seems everyone cares a LOT about increasing interest in hunting and accessibility- until change is an option and then no no no.

As Biden would say that's Malarky, my boys shot 30-35 pounds and had no issues killing deer. sharp broadhead and shot placement are key. 4 deer none went further than 40 yards after being shot. Heck i know several women that only shoot 30-35 pounds and have zero trouble killing deer.

Yep, that’s why I got over 200 blood tracking calls this year... I don’t know anything about how easy it is for deer to survive.

Reality is that pass through shots have better recovery rates. That should be the goal.

70073e57c4d64a48354b5d56a6e3d0c2.jpg

Do you want more hunters or not?? Seems everyone cares a LOT about increasing interest in hunting and accessibility- until change is an option and then no no no.
Me, I really don't care too much about "hunter recruitment". It seems to be the "justification" on new legislation more than based in reality. Where are all these new hunters going to spend their time? On what little public there is? Most private ground around me is pretty locked up already. Doesn't do much good to bring new blood into the sport that will struggle to find a place to go or end up leasing (gag, gag).

This. ^^ I would need to double check, but my two boys used a youth bow for two seasons each, four total seasons, when they were first starting out and shot several deer with that bow. That bow could not be above 40 pounds of draw weight, more like 32-35, or so. As said, sharp broadheads and good shot placement resulted in a dead deer in seconds every time. The two deer shot and not recovered with that bow...both were bad hits and would have likely led to a non-recovery with a bow drawing 70#'s.

A 35 pound draw weight is plenty and is NOT, at least IMO, a good reason to allow a weapon that now can easily reach out to 100+ yards plus...and that would be pressured to also be allowed during other time periods of the 5 month deer season than what is being proposed initially.

Drip, drip, drip...it will never end. What's the next "opportunity" weapon once the manufacturers have sold enough cross bows? Perhaps we should cut to the chase and allow 50 cal machine guns all year long? I mean think of the opportunity for new hunters to use their grandpa's machine gun to take down a deer. (Funny, not funny.)

Drip, drip, drip...it will never end. What's the next "opportunity" weapon once the manufacturers have sold enough cross bows? Perhaps we should cut to the chase and allow 50 cal machine guns all year long? I mean think of the opportunity for new hunters to use their grandpa's machine gun to take down a deer. (Funny, not funny.)
BINGO!! Sadly it will NOT ever end. The constant chipping away and extreme liberalization of deer hunting seasons and in this case/thread weapons. Two very large influencing factors are at work spawning their evil in the hunting community. Day by day special interest groups and the big corporate $$ is winning the battles in the trenches. Secondly this society of instant gratification has fully influenced the younger generation of hunters as well as some of the rest as well, that it's "better" and much more enjoyable if we could just kill deer easier. New hunters as well as many hunters with years of hunting seasons buying into the idea that having the ability to kill a deer easier is overall just better. This is a society that we have evolved into and it is fully effecting the hunting and outdoors world as well......period. IMO all that is left to do is fight back any way possible, but at the same time be sure to go out and do what we love and enjoy every minute of hunting and the outdoors experiences we are so fortunate to have.

This is so stupid.....all the data is available in Mi and WI.....If Iowa introduces Cross guns in the rut it will devistate the herd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U can not put a superior weapon in the Rut with out MAJOR consequences. Cross guns in WI and MI have the highest kill rate of any weapon including rifle. If Iowa people think Rifles in December are the major danger you are wrong. Cross guns in November will be your death. Guys you never thought would hunt with a bow will quickly pick up the cross gun. Word!

At one time the compound bow was considered a superior weapon. Just sayin.
I'm not sure the point or intent of that statement in regards to legalization of Xguns in Iowa? I would also argue that statements validity overall. Here is the BIG difference in a nutshell on how negatively Xguns will affect quality of Iowa's deer herd compared to compounds and it should be VERY simple to understand...............Xguns require much less physical body movement required to shoot (HUGE difference). Effective kill range is at a minimum of %60 further due to the significantly faster speed of the bullet/bolt compared to todays compounds that shoot a real arrow. Also much flatter shooting trajectories comparatively. Due to the significant advantages as explained and other factors as well not even mentioned to shorten this up the effects over a period of a few years will be significant. Lesser and lesser quality year after year. Quite frankly this should all be common sense. Only large landowners 600-700 acres or more will be able to be slightly insulated from the Xgun effects that will happen after a couple seasons if legalized.

Reactions: Zim
Top Bottom