Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 651 Bow tags good for the late January season

Fishbonker

Life Member
This would allow the use of an unfilled bow tag in the late antlerless only season. The late seasons are only in counties with 100 unsold tags by a certain date in December. This bill gets around that rule by allowing the use of your unused bow tag. It also allows the use of crossbows under a bow tag in the late antlerless season. There is also a part that allows the unused bow tag to be used in the late muzzle loader season, I'm of the understanding that is already legal, I thought it was late bow season/late muzzle loader season at the same time. If I'm correct what is the use of this clause? My though is does this language somehow make it legal to use a crossbow in the late archery season with a bow tag. Currently I believe a crossbow can be used with a muzzle loader tag.

Link to bill: <Late antlerless bow tags>

I feel like I'm missing something with this bill, or maybe I'm over reading it.

Subcommittee:

Representative Terry Baxter, House District 8, Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth counties. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Legislative Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov

Representative Ras Tafari Smith, House District 62, parts of Waterloo and Black Hawk county. Legislative webpage: State Representative (iowa.gov) Legislative email:
Ras.Smith@legis.iowa.gov

Representative Robert Bacon, House District 48, Hamilton and parts of Story, Boone and Webster counties. Legislative web page: State Representative (iowa.gov) Legislative email: rob.bacon@legis.iowa.gov

Meeting date/time has not yet been set.

There are email links imbedded in the individual Representative list above, hover your cursor over the email address.

Upon further review and reflection, would this bill allow the holder of an unfilled bow tag to use a muzzle loader to fill the tag in the late muzzle loader season and therefor a crossbow?

Poorly worded. Currently, late ML and second part of archery season overlap. You can buy a ML tag and use a "lesser" weapon, meaning bow, but you can't use your archery tag to hunt with a ML. Are they trying to change that? That would be my take on this.

Bucks too? Or is this antlerless? I'm confused

I'm confused as well.

I would assume if unfilled bow tags could be filled with a muzzle loader in late muzzle loader season it would be either sex. Late season, after Jan. 10th would be doe only. I'm still not sure what this bill is trying to achieve.

Also, if the above is true, I would assume a person could by an archery tag and kill two bucks with a muzzle loader in late ML season but then not be able to hunt the late antlerless only season with the bow because the license/tag would have been used.

If I get clarification, I'll post it up.

Subcommittee meeting is set for 2/8 at 1230

There was a sub meeting held today. There was not a vote on the bill, rather they will caucus on the bill tomorrow.

As it turns out the bill was written to move the crossbow from the firearm category into the archery equipment category. That triggered (no pun intended) quite a discussion. We pointed out the history of some slippery slope legislation from the recent past and this bill would be nothing more than a pathway to full inclusion. The lobbyist representing Ravin Crossbows LLC stated that they hope this bill will indeed lead to a slippery slope.

I'm not sure what to expect on this bill. It is my gut feeling that the votes were not there to move the bill today, so it is going to be discussed tomorrow in caucus.

The bill passed the full Natural Resources Committee today on a vote of 13-7. It will now get a new bill number and be eligible for floor debate.

Top Bottom