Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Huge Crappie

dblmainbeam

What a bummer! found this pig laying along the shore of our pond. I think its a black crappie. I think white crappies have an up and down pattern on there sides.
773-crappie.jpg
Hoping someone could tell me if it is black or white crappie.
773-crappie2.jpg

Have you seen many otters in your neck of the woods. And were there any other fish dead where you found this one. Otters can do some damage to a fish population

Yes there are otters and that's what I was thinking. I know there's a few nice crappies but had know idea that big.

Wowzer!! That's a slab. How big was she? Black crappie for sure, bad thing is the state record black is only 15 1/2 inches. That looks much bigger. Bummer on finding it dead but odds are good there are more swimming. Where theres one, theres usually more!

Yep I have been sick all day. Dang i wish i could have caught it. I did a quick measure on it 17 1/2". I froze it just so I have proof. According to the the length to weight estimator a 17" should be 3.3.

I blame the otters. I have caught several bass with cuts all over them. I try and trap them in the fall but the quota fills to fast and only caught 1 in 3 seasons. I don't do a lot of trapping and could use some advice on how to get them.

Good thing for you beam is there are pry more in there like her. Genetics in fish follow just like everything else. At least you still have her. Crappie like that is awesome, be worth getting a replica!

What a slab! Stupid otters have a habbit of eating tails and guts and wasting a ton of fish! I am going after them hard this fall to. Time to raise the quotas on them if you ask me.

Yep I have been sick all day. Dang i wish i could have caught it. I did a quick measure on it 17 1/2". I froze it just so I have proof. According to the the length to weight estimator a 17" should be 3.3.

I blame the otters. I have caught several bass with cuts all over them. I try and trap them in the fall but the quota fills to fast and only caught 1 in 3 seasons. I don't do a lot of trapping and could use some advice on how to get them.

Youll have to check into this but i would think if the otters are being a nuicance to property you could trap them anytime you want.. youll have to consult your local conservationist

I talk to in iowa dnr fish biologist and he told me that the black crappie record has been broken twice this winter and he thought the new state record was 17 and a half inches and weighed around three and a half pounds. he would have ranked right up there.

Top Bottom