Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting over food

Get to miss some school to do a bit of hunting this week. Was wondering specifically about tonight. Hunting large public land areas that have a fair amount of pressure.

I think I found a bit of a pocket with some standing. Corn farther than most would walk. Also an alfalfa field on my way to that spot but I think the alfalfa has received a bit of pressure. I’m thinking I want to hunt over the corn tonight but wanted to know what you all thought.

Also wondering in the future what kind of strategies I should use when I’m picking a morning spot?

This time of year I would stick to corn and beans, the alfalfa is likely not going to have deer feeding from my experience if the other food sources are around.

As for morning hunts, i usually pass this time of year as I seem to do more harm then good

You talking 2nd season shotgun still, right? Heck yeah, get a stand hung over the corn and get in it by 3 PM. The same stand should be good for AM too, just get into it an hour b4 first light, if you can.

Thanks guys! Doing some driving around scouting midday just to see what all there is for public around here. Hunting some of the loess hills forests for the first time. Definitely fun to change the pace a bit from bow season and hunt some landscape I’ve never hunted before. Seems to be a whole different ball game going from 100-200 acres pieces to thousands of acres.

Thanks guys! Doing some driving around scouting midday just to see what all there is for public around here. Hunting some of the loess hills forests for the first time. Definitely fun to change the pace a bit from bow season and hunt some landscape I’ve never hunted before. Seems to be a whole different ball game going from 100-200 acres pieces to thousands of acres.
What kind of deer sightings on average per sit??

Tonight will be my first time at this spot so I’m not sure. Didn’t really look for sign either when I found the spot, just to avoid disturbing it. I’m thinking as long as it hasn’t had much pressure there should be some deer in the field tonight. I’ll keep ya posted!

Tonight will be my first time at this spot so I’m not sure. Didn’t really look for sign either when I found the spot, just to avoid disturbing it. I’m thinking as long as it hasn’t had much pressure there should be some deer in the field tonight. I’ll keep ya posted!

Didn’t make it happen tonight, got in at 1:30 and there was a doe on the edge that saw me as I was walking in. Got Sat down and at about 3:30 a coyote came by that I didn’t get a chance to shoot. Probably going to try something new tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking from personal experience, with the Temps were having and the pressure the deer have been getting, I'd ditch the field. Get in the timber somewhere closer to cover. I'm sure they're hitting the corn but well after dark would be my guess

Did some still hunting tonight. Made a big loop around some really thick cover and saw two good sized does just not shots I wanted to take. Just after a deer to bring home some meat right now. Will probably be focusing my hunting around that area being it’s so thick and looks like little pressure.

My first hunting was unforgettable. I still remember the storm of emotions I felt at that moment. It was a roe deer that I stalked for hours. But going deeper, I didn't always think hunting would become my hobby. It started small, and I started getting into guns, buying all sorts of gear on gun websites such as ballachy.com. And after buying all the necessary things, I started going to shooting ranges and honing my skills at target practice. Over time, I got hooked and started going to the range more often. And at one point, I met a good friend who suggested we go hunting. Since then, we have gone regularly hunting, as game meat is especially tasty to cook for food.

Top Bottom